Lager Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbman42

Reaction score
I did my first starter and put it in a temp. controled fridge at 72, its ben two days, but some time today my temp control stopped working and it droped down to 40, I moved the yeast to a room temp closet for now, I was hoping to brew on sun as long as i get my temp. control working, will i be ok useing my yeast.

It should be fine, but 72 is hot for lagers. I'd keep it more in the 50 area for a starter and to ferment, and then do a diacetyl rest at room temp a couple days before lagering in the 30's.

Quick question....if you start your lager in the low 70's because you don't have an extra fridge, will it ruin it, or can you get it into a fridge a couple of days later and still be okay? I had a fridge that is 1.5 inches too small for my fermenter, but will have one hopefully tonight. Any other ideas?

Room temp is fine for a lager starter. You're trying to make more yeast, not beer. If the yeast was pretty fresh, it may have fermented out in the first day, and the drop to 40°F would have crashed the yeast to the bottom of the vessel. If it now looks cloudy and has bubbles rising, it's still fermenting. If it is clear with a layer of sediment, it's done. Either way, it should be plenty ready to pitch on Sunday.

The directions on the kit had me sprinkle directly into the wort. That is why I'm worried. Since I'm fairly new to brewing, I had no idea that I should start it first. As I'm learning still, I'm curious as to whether I will ruin my current beer or not. Any help would be amazing.

The directions on the kit had me sprinkle directly into the wort. That is why I'm worried. Since I'm fairly new to brewing, I had no idea that I should start it first. As I'm learning still, I'm curious as to whether I will ruin my current beer or not. Any help would be amazing.

if you're using dry lager yeast, you should rehydrate and just use an extra packet or two, depending on the OG of the beer. starters are necessary and practical for liquid yeast, but given the yeast cell count of dry yeast packets, it's usually worth it to just buy a 2nd or 3rd packet, provided you properly rehydrate.

the only thing you should be sprinkling directly onto your wort is hops.

since your'e doing a lager, go to mrmalty.com, read up on starters, use his calculator (it applies to dry yeast too). Good luck :mug:

I've already pitched though. That's where my problem is. The packet said sprinkle on the wort. So my wort is low to mid 70s right now. The fridge is down to 60. Should I place in the fridge? Should I wait till I rack for secondary? What temp should I get it at? I guess I am just curious how to proceed to save what decency is left in the beer without ruining it.

Stick it in the fridge. Keep an eye on it. Take it out when it hits 49 or something.

I guess I'm confused... Are you talking about your starter still?

Never had a starter...that's my main problem. Since I'm new to brewing, I followed the instructions which didn't have me use a starter. It had me sprinkle yeast directly into the wort.

jkstober said:
Never had a starter...that's my main problem. Since I'm new to brewing, I followed the instructions which didn't have me use a starter. It had me sprinkle yeast directly into the wort.

Well the old homebrewing technique is to just sprinkle the yeast at room temp, which promotes yeast growth, and then cool it slowly to lager fermentation temp.

If you ferment with an under pitched lager yeast at room temp for several days your beer will ferment, but it won't taste at all like a lager. Might wanna chalk this up to a learning experience...

While it's only been a couple days, I will try and chill and see how it turns out I guess. Either way, I know most of my friends will drink it because it's free beer. However, I appreciate all the tips and hints and will incorporate them in my next attempt.

Latest posts

Back