Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Yeast at Room Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
danculwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Yeast at Room Temp

So I read on New Belgium's website that for their 1554 Enlightened Black Ale they use a lager yeast at ale temps. Is this something I could recreate at home. What should I expect if I pitch a packet of S-23 and ferment it in my ~68 degree closet? Will the yeast even work at that temp? If it does will I end up with any gross flavors? I'm pretty interested in this idea but don't want to waste the ingredients (and the fermenter space) if it would surely come out better with an ale yeast.

6.5 Gal bucket Guiness Clone
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking:Mr Beer Wheat, Apfelwein, Graff, Grape, Lemonade, Raspberry, and Cherry Apfelwein, AHS Noble Pils (Ale)
On Deck:Who knows anymore

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i think you'd have better results with something like san fran lager WLP810, which is ok from 58-65, so you might have to cool down your area just a tad to get the desired results... i think fermenting a normal lager strain at 68 would result in a pretty gross beer, but I've never tried it so I can't say for sure. you could also ferment nottingham at a lower range (60 or even slightly below) and get decent lager-like qualities.

edit: also remember that if the closet is at 68, your fermentation temp will likely be over 70.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
BoZzyFresh
Recipes 

Default it will work

We have done this before and it is normally done to California common beers. It works great although fermentation will take much longer to get started like 1-3 days. Give it a shot...if going with a lighter ale it can make a really good session beer for summer, just be patient with the yeast. Here is some reading for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

Brew Your Face Off,

Twitter
@thebrewdude

Seattle Homebrew Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-27891-Seat...ewing-Examiner

The Brew Dude Homebrew Blog
http://thebrewdude.wordpress.com/

Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
vtbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

S-23 at ~68 degrees is great. For some reason when that yeast is fermented at regular lager temps it makes a fruity, disgusting mess. I made a lager at 68 and it was really clean and delicious.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbeerman View Post
S-23 at ~68 degrees is great. For some reason when that yeast is fermented at regular lager temps it makes a fruity, disgusting mess. I made a lager at 68 and it was really clean and delicious.
did you just use one pack or did you dump two in it?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
danculwell
Recipes 

I would also like to know how much you pitched. I'll be making a 2.5gal batch when I do (this will be 2 or 3 beers down the road) and I'll probably pitch a whole packet. I assume that would be plenty.

6.5 Gal bucket Guiness Clone
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking:Mr Beer Wheat, Apfelwein, Graff, Grape, Lemonade, Raspberry, and Cherry Apfelwein, AHS Noble Pils (Ale)
On Deck:Who knows anymore

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

S-23 should be fine. It's a good yeast for warm ferments and should produce the steam beer type effect you are looking for.

WLP515, the DeKoninck yeast, I am pretty sure is a lager yeast fermented at ale temps... it seems to bottom ferment, produces a tiny krausen, and kicks off lots of sulfur just like many lager strains. At 68*F it is mostly clean but a little spicy, has a great character without all the crazy phenolics a lot of Belgians produce. If you can find it, I would recommend you give it a try, I love that yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply