HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Danbreeze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Lager yeast question

First off, Happy early St. Patty's day to all!

I have been thinking of brewing up an Octoberfest beer this month to serve at an Octoberfest party in September. The problem is my basement can only get down to 60 degrees F and I am worried that is not cold enough.

Would fermentation at this temperature produce too many off flavors? My other option is that I have a wine fridge with adjustable temp control that I could ferment it in.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

First State Brewers

Proud member of the Shat in my Pants Brew Club
(ok, I made that one up)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

If you're going to brew a true Oktoberfest using a lager yeast, 60°F would probably produce some fruitiness from esters or other noticeable off-flavors. You really need to be colder than that... more like 50°F. Then for lagering, it's best down to about 33°F. If you can get those temps, you're golden.

What yeast do you plan on using? For ease of use (dry yeast), I can recommend Saflager W-34/70 (minimum of 2 packets, rehydrated, for ~5 gallons).

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

If you can't get below 60F, then you can't lager. Your best bet will be to do an ale version of an octoberfest.

Last edited by rocketman768; 03-16-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Danbreeze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
What yeast do you plan on using? For ease of use (dry yeast), I can recommend Saflager W-34/70 (minimum of 2 packets, rehydrated, for ~5 gallons).
Thank you for your feedback. I would be using Saflager W-34/70 as well. I have had great success with dry yeast lately.

I have an old refridgerator in the garage that is out of comission due to a broken compressor, so maybe it would be worth my time to have a friend fix it up and use it for just lagers. I also wanted to try a Doppelbock in the near future.

First State Brewers

Proud member of the Shat in my Pants Brew Club
(ok, I made that one up)

Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbreeze View Post
I have an old refridgerator in the garage that is out of comission due to a broken compressor, so maybe it would be worth my time to have a friend fix it up and use it for just lagers.
Maybe worth it, maybe not. Can that refrigerator efficiently hold lagering temps (near freezing). If so, go for it. But you'll still need a temp. controller. Alternatively, you might be able to find a new or used small chest freezer for cheap.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply