New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Yeast for Barleywine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
mattrettig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Yeast for Barleywine?

Hello all...I'm thinking of doing a barleywine by just racking onto a yeast cake from a previous batch, but I'm about to do a light lager so as to have it ready for warm weather. Wondering if there are any lager strains which, having just fermented out a fairly low-gravity beer, could handle a 1.10-or-so barleywine? I don't care if the fermentation for the barleywine takes a long time since I'm not looking to drink it until the weather turns cold again next fall.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
mattrettig
Recipes 

Anyone....anyone...Bueler?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Your talking about taking a yeast cake from a lager and using it in a Barleywine--an ale, correct? I'm sure the yeast would be able to do something, but not sure if the results would be what you are looking for. I've heard of some people using lager yeasts for ales, at ale temperatures, to increase esters, but never with something that massive. If you try it, post the results back here.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Quick Reply