New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Agree with Yooper and do my lagers similarly. I initially chill the starter below room temp so I'll get better aeration. Ferment the starter(s) at room temp and such that I'll have a good 24-48 hours for the last starter (if there were steps) to chill/settle in the fridge. Chill the beer below fermentation temp, aerate extremely well, and then decant/pitch the yeast straight out of the fridge. No need to let it warm up, it should take off very fast.

I even pitch ale starters straight out of the fridge and they take off very quickly. Look up 'cold-pitching' for more info on that. It works.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
DirtyPolock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
Just for my own clarification, decanting the starter gets that off-flavored liquid off the top of the cake, so as not to affect the beer flavor?
Since I have no stir plate, I will be shaking my first starter. Which means I will need to give it a little time to settle so I could decant, correct?
You can cold crash after a day or two to help the yeast settle. A starter only needs about a day or two to go through the sugar that is present since it is such a small amount. The cold crash will also help to compact the yeast cake so you can remove virtually all the spent wort with out losing much yeast.
Primary #1: Cascade/Willamette APA
Primary #2: Air
Secondary #1: Belgian Dark Strong

Tap #1: Dubbel Red Balls
Tap #2: Honey Brown Ale
Tap #3: BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Tap #4: Penn Dark Clone 1.0

Conditioning in Kegs: Pollinated porter

Bottled/Drinking: AHS Old School IPA; Apfelwein 1/22/10

Not just any keezer build...It's my keezer build | Don't fear the StarSan Foam, a math explanation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply