Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager starter??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Wino24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager starter??

Hi all... I plan on doing my 1st lager soon and have a question about the starter. When making the starter do I make it at the temp it's going to ferment at or at room temp? .... More stupid questions to follow.. ) Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
jaja
Recipes 

Room temp is fine, you are making yeast not beer ;-) Chill and decant it anyway so you pitch just the yeast slurry.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Room temp is fine.

jaja said your making yeast, not beer. But sometimes you can do both. I started with a 2L WLP833 starter. With it, I made a 5gallon American lite lager. I pour off 500ml of the yeast cake for a Munich Dunkel. The Dunkel made enough yeast for the Doppelbock.

Jason

Old 09-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

As noted above, you'll need to make a big starter if you want to pitch the right amount. I just started growing up the yeast for my first lager, brewing a bock on Saturday. I've stepped it up a couple of times already and will be stepping it up again to two gallons tonight. Man, these lager starters take some work!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply