Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 661 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You want to pitch pretty low - about 40 °F and then let the temperature climb to about 48 °F for the main fermentation. When it starts to slow gradually reduce temperature (a couple of degrees at most per day) to as close to freezing as you can get it and hold there for a couple of weeks. Then transfer, with plenty of yeast, to lagering vessels for 3 months lagering between freezing and about 38 °F. Be sure to oxygenate well (20 mg/L ?) and pitch lots of yeast.

Someone is going to ask where I got that profile. I've been using it for so long that I don't remember so I went and looked in a couple of books. It is consistent with Kunze and Narziß so I either got it from one of them or someone following them. Makes good beer in any case.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #12
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I can do 4L without a problem. Thank you all for the help. I normally only do 1-2L on ales only, I guess I should have specified. And no 3-4L does not sound crazy. Thanks again
I've always shied away from doing the really huge (and stepped-up) starters needed to get one vial/smackpack of yeast multiplied enough for a truly good pitch rate in a 5 gallon batch of high gravity lager. That's lots of starter beer to be decanted/dumped after crashing each step 2-3 days (which is needed to get lager yeast to drop out fully). Lots of work too if you want to do it right.

I'd much rather have 5 gallons of lighter gravity (1.045-1.050) lager serve as my "starter" so that I get to enjoy and share it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply