Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager in Primary or in Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
TriangleIL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lager in Primary or in Secondary?

I just finished my primary fermentation of a munich helles, and the beer is now sitting in my living room for a 3 day diacetyl rest. (Sample tastes pretty good so far) I pulled the beer a little later than I wanted, I was waiting for the krausen to fall and it fell a little late in the process.

Anyways, now I'm contemplating the next steps. After my 3 days is it better to rack into a new vessel for 4-5 weeks @ 35-40F?

I was going to rack into a carboy originally, but now I am reading about racking to a keg with the diptube cut an inch short. I also read somewhere that it might be beneficial to leave the beer on the primary yeast cake to let the beer clean up longer.

Thoughts?

Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My preference is to rack to a secondary as the lagering process will clean the beer up. When I do a lager I let the beer sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks. By then the yeast will have cleaned up after itself and will finish the job during the 1-2 month lagering process.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I rack my lagers to a keg after 2-4 weeks of fermentation (depends on OG). I do not cut my dip tubes short. I do use gelatin when I keg, and anecdotally, this seemed to help stabilize the yeast that settle out so I don't get much when I tap the keg. I find my first half-pint has too much yeast and gets dumped. Usually within 4 pints, the beer is crystal clear. Of course you have to be careful about jostling the kegs around.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply