The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lager pitching rates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
bierhunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default lager pitching rates

Hi all,

I am planning my first lager after many all-grain ales and I have a few questions. On the Wyeast website it recommends a 12 cells per millilitre pitching rate, which is approximately 2 smack packs for a 5 gallon batch, but if you go to mr malty's pitching rate calculator it says to pitch much more. I would think the yeast manufacturer would know what's best for their product, but if anyone has experience that their beer is better with those massive pitch rates I would like to hear. I have 2 smack packs and if I can get away without making a starter that would be ok, but if it makes the beer better I have no problem doing it. I plan to pitch at fermentation temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually go in between the two, Mr. Malty seems a bit high to me too. It also depends on the OG, I would probably still make a medium sized starter to pump up the smack packs.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The manufacturers always seem to be lower in their estimates. I wonder whether it's because they test based on fresh-off-the-assembly-line yeast, when even a month old is notably less potent.

I honestly think most peole here trust Mr Malty over Wyeast.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

12 cells per ml isn't much .

I guess it depends on who you believe. A vendor trying to make their product look good, or George Fix, Ph.D from Harvard, mathematician, and author of books on brewing such as Principles of Brewing Science and An Analysis of Brewing Techniques. This is where Mr. Malty's numbers come from.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
bierhunter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry that's 12 million cells per milliltre. George Fix sounds like he knows what he's talking about. If there's no danger pitching that much yeast then I guess I'll go for it. I've heard of overpitching but I don't think that's until even much higher rates.
Thanks all for the quick replies

Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I recently did a little digging on this and PM'd jamilz about it.

Basically, the yeast mfrs. have been saying for years that their product is "pitchable in 5 gal beer". They can't really go back now and say that they were either mistaken or lying all this time...so their numbers have to corroborate their original claim at least to some degree.

The Mr Malty pitch rate calculator is backed up by science and confirmed by lab analysis. Trust the Mr Malty calculator imo.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Doesn't Jamil's calculator assume a log reduction in viable cell count based on date of production? Where do these numbers come from and how can they be accurately calculated since they would have to make assumptions on transport and storage conditions?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Doesn't Jamil's calculator assume a log reduction in viable cell count based on date of production? Where do these numbers come from and how can they be accurately calculated since they would have to make assumptions on transport and storage conditions?
Good point. I've always thought that the viability thing was the weakest link because it's just an estimation based on many assumptions. Then we multiply that starting count so a bad starting count just throws the whole calculation out of whack. At some point, the brewer has to bring something to the table. I make adjustments to the viability because most of my yeast is delivered via mail and even with the ice packs it's warm by the time I get it.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
DonutBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I know I know I know that you are supposed to pitch at these enormous rates. Even with that knowledge, I ended up pitching one (yes, 1) smack pack of Wyeast 2278 (Czech Pils). The OG was around 1.045 and it ended up at 1.009, and definitely is one of the best beers I've made.

I probably will try to plan to make a starter next time, but the old "RDWHAH" thinking didn't fail me this time.

I also learned decocted pilsner=DELICIOUS. Thanks Kaiser!

EDIT: I should mention that the smack pack was brand new, LHBS had just received it and I had bought it the same day.

Last edited by DonutBrew; 06-07-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

What I am doing for my lager which I plan to brew in a couple days is making a 1L starter from a vial, then cold crash, decant and mix up, and pitch maybe 200ml of that slurry into a 2L starter, which I will then subsequently cold crash and decant. Then when I pitch later in the week, I will pitch the yeast slurries from both the 1L and 2L flasks.

So all told I think I'll have around 2700ml of healthy, viable yeast for my 1.067 lager.

Quick Reply