*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager for only a week?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lager for only a week?

I have an Oktoberfest that's been lagering for a week. However, I really need to free up some fridge space. I already have 2 full cornies in there now, and I need to crash cool a few carboys I have sitting out and maybe even toss those into kegs. Will the Oktoberfest really suffer if it only gets one week of lagering? I've heard that some German breweries are going to one-week lagers these days. The beer tasted fantastic right out of primary, so I'm wondering if I'll be missing much. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

if there is a benefit to lagering (for an extended period of time) and you lagered for a week then you will miss out on those benefits. of course if it tastes good, then that's all that matters.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Is it going to go right on tap? Or is is going to just sit at room temperature for a while? Before I had a proper lagering set up, my lagers just sat in the basement until space was freed up in the kegerator (anyhwhere from weeks to months). Then I would just move it into the kegerator and resist it for 2 weeks before tapping into it. I could resist since I had 3 other taps going. It worked fine. The beers were generally better after an additional two weeks, but a person can only resist so much

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply