Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Fermenting Very Very Slow ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
willie247
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Fermenting Very Very Slow ?

I have a lager fermenting that has only dropped 12 gravity points in 17 days. It started out at 1042 and 17 days later is only at 1030. I have made many ales but this is my first lager. I pitched a very active starter of White Labs WLP840 American Lager Yeast. The air lock on the starter was bubblin away when I pitched it and i had signs of fermentation in the airlock the next day. So like I Said its sitting at 1030 after 17 days and FG should be around 1010. Its fermenting around 52 degrees. Well my concern is should it have just about fermented all the way out by now or is it where it should be at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Something's not right. That should have fermented out by now. I've never had a lager under 1.050 take longer than 2 weeks to reach final gravity. It could be any of a number of things:

- Your temperature isn't really at 52°F and is really in the 30s°F
- Your yeast wasn't all it was cracked up to be... too small of starter, low yeast viability, yeast mix-up with an ale yeast, etc.
- Your hydrometer reading is wrong and it really is fermented down to final gravity

If you can rule all of those out, you'll just have to wait it out. Check it in a couple days and see where it is. Has it reached high krausen?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
willie247
Recipes 

Check temp again and it's in the low 50's. Checked hydrometer against water and reads 1.000. As far as the krausen heres a pic below. It never got to high. Like I said I've made only ales before and the krausen on the lager is no where near as high as an ale would be.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I've had lager ferments take a month. If it isn't done by then, bring the temperature up to the low 60s.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply