Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Fermentation Schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
rpalmer1392
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Fermentation Schedule

Okay, so any input here is welcome.

I just brewed my first lager and started fermentation around 53 degrees. What I would call active fermentation(seeing bubbles) didn't start for a week. It has been bubbling now for about 1 week. When I open the freezer there is a very noticeable order. Not sure if this is normal or not? Should I through it out?

Thanks In Advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Jeez no don't pitch it!!! Work it through the scheduled fermentation! You've got a plan surely, stick to it!
Cheers!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The sulfur smell is typical of lager fermentation. Your reaction is a common one. Also, a long lag time, though pronounced in your case (did you use a healthy starter?) is far more common with lagers than ales.

RDWHAHB. Everything is happening as it should.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpalmer1392 View Post
Okay, so any input here is welcome.

I just brewed my first lager and started fermentation around 53 degrees. What I would call active fermentation(seeing bubbles) didn't start for a week. It has been bubbling now for about 1 week. When I open the freezer there is a very noticeable order. Not sure if this is normal or not? Should I through it out?

Thanks In Advance
The most common mistake new lager brewers make is to underpitch. If it took a week for you to see bubbles (especially at 53 degrees) this is likely what happened.

Are you familiar with the smell of CO2? This could be what you are smelling when you open your freezer. It will burn your nose a bit and, if you keep breathing it in, make you light-headed. I recently fermented 17.5 gallons at once in my chest freezer and the CO2 was overpowering.

The second most common mistake new lager brewers make is to not use their hydrometer. It's surprising how many believe it's spelled C-A-L-E-N-D-A-R. You have to use your hydrometer to tell you when to give your beer a d-rest (if it needs one--but I certainly wouldn't assume it doesn't, especially if you underpitched).

Read the link in my signature--it will give you some of the basics on brewing lagers and food for thought as you become more advanced.

Good luck!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply