Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Ferment Temp Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
chrispykid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Lager Ferment Temp Question

Hey guys, hope you can help me out here.

I brewed up a pilsner on Thursday night roughly based on the clone recipe for Victory Prima Pils I found on this site. I used Saflager Saflager S-23 since my LHBS was out of Wyeast 2124.

I just built an active fermentation temperature control system based on the water fermentation chamber builds I found in the DIY section and I set my ferment temp at 50F using. The system works great so far, but I pushed my luck by going away for a couple days this weekend. I loaded up my chilling cooler with ice water before I left in the hopes that it could maintain 50F for 48 hours, but when I got back this afternoon I found that the ice had completely melted and the fermenting beer was up to 62F.

So basically I figure the beer had about two to three days at exactly 50C and about a half a day to a day rising up from 50 to 62. Now that I'm back home should I knock it back down to 50 or just maintain 62? I know that it's generally not a good idea to cool yeast down too much or they might go to sleep and I definitely want this beer to dry out. I was going to do a diacetyl rest anyway, is it a huge deal if it's coming a couple days too early?

Any help that experienced lager brewers can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by chrispykid; 06-21-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: grammar/clarity/spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I've never used S-23, but from what I've heard and read it works better and tastes better at higher temps than most lager yeasts. Apparently it finishes very dry and fruity, so it will probably be great for a Prima-like beer.

I'd leave it at 62..

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
I've never used S-23, but from what I've heard and read it works better and tastes better at higher temps than most lager yeasts. Apparently it finishes very dry and fruity, so it will probably be great for a Prima-like beer.

I'd leave it at 62..
Thanks - that's where I was leaning, it's just nice to get a second opinion since this is my first lager.

Quick Reply