Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lager or ale yeast? give your opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default lager or ale yeast? give your opinion

so i am wanting to do a few ale recipes with lager yeasts... but i want to do them in a "steam beer manner", fermenting at about 58-60 (air temp). i've used cali lager before, but was thinking of using s-23 and giving that a shot.

has anyone used it at these temps? what typical flavors arise when using a lager yeast @ these ale temps? if i'm looking for some lager like qualities, would i be better off just using a kolsch style yeast or notty and just forgo using lager yeast at that temp? or just stick with a cali lager?

i'm hoping at that temp i will be able to get some of the lager qualities but maybe generate a little fruitiness with the normally cooler fermenting lager yeast. i was also planning on a few weeks lagering period in the keezer.

waste of time? worth a shot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You will get esters, in my opinion.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i imagine i would as well. anyone else have any experience fermenting with lager yeast on the high end of the temp range or above? next time i brew my blonde i will do 10 gal and split 5 and 5 between s23 and notty and ferment at 58-60 and see what happens.

Quick Reply