Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lag Time With Starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Hopin-Josh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lag Time With Starter?

How long should it take to begin seeing activity with a starter? It's been 12 hours and I'm starting to get nervous. The last vial I used from WL, after 2 two days and not seeing any activity in my starter I pitched I dry yeast pack anyways. I am really starting to lose faith in WL products...

I have reclaimed yeast and started seeing activity in a couple hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The thing about starters is that sometimes, it's very difficult to actually see any activity, even though the starter is performing as desired. I've had a few that never seemed to look like anything happened, but were actually fine. You may never see a krausen, but if you notice the starter get cloudy, then later see it settle with all the material at the bottom, that means it worked fine. Also check to see if there is a little ring above the fluid line in the container. That would mean some bubbling occurred and left a little residue when you weren't looking. Also, maybe post a photo of what it looks like right now. The main this to remember is that starters don't act like full batches.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 01-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

what do you consider "no activity"?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just like in the fermenter, fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil,) or if you see a krauzen.In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Hopin-Josh
Recipes 

Default re

In the second photo I was trying to show the yeast in the starter. It kinda looks stringy I guess is the best way to describe it.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopin-Josh View Post
In the second photo I was trying to show the yeast in the starter. It kinda looks stringy I guess is the best way to describe it.
Based on that, it looks cloudy enough to think there is some yeast in suspension, hence, it's doing its job right now. I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Use it without fear!
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Hopin-Josh
Recipes 

Ok, looks like I now have yeast flocculated on the bottom. Maybe a watched kettle never boils? LOL Although it looks really dark to me. Is this a characteristic of Kolsch yeast?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Yes, that is pretty typical of the Kolsch Yeast I have used in the past. The WLP 029 seems to be a bit more like other ales, but boring. Also, although WL says the 029 is a medium floccuating strain, my experience is that it is a low flocculating strain. The WY 2565 is some odd stuff. It doesn't really seem to do much right away and seems to be kind of orange right out the package, but it ferments nicely in the low 60's to high 50's. You should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
Hopin-Josh
Recipes 

OK, I guess I will stop worrying and start brewing. Thanks to all for you expertise!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
Virant518
Recipes 

I was freaking out last week with a WLP011 starter.

I pitched it anyways, and it did fine.

Quick Reply