The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lactose in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
RichSib
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lactose in secondary

In a fit of deranged inspiration I recently brewed a pretty standard rye stout, OG 1.062 and pitched it onto a cake of Whitelabs 0565 Saison 1, from which I had just racked a rye saison.
Primary is done and it tastes pretty good at SG 1.006, the roasted malt fairly dominates the yeast at this stage, but it's too dry.
Can I add a boiled lactose solution to secondary to sweeten it up a bit without causing much more fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSib View Post
In a fit of deranged inspiration I recently brewed a pretty standard rye stout, OG 1.062 and pitched it onto a cake of Whitelabs 0565 Saison 1, from which I had just racked a rye saison.
Primary is done and it tastes pretty good at SG 1.006, the roasted malt fairly dominates the yeast at this stage, but it's too dry.
Can I add a boiled lactose solution to secondary to sweeten it up a bit without causing much more fermentation?
I don't see why not. Lactose is mostly unfermentable (not 100%) and if it's boiled, it will be sanitized. I'd just be careful of oxidation (don't splash it).

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply