The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lactobacillus Starter for Berliner Weisse?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
MikeBrenner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lactobacillus Starter for Berliner Weisse?

i'm working on a Berliner Weisse, and it seems everything i read is different. i got a Wyeast 5335 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii pack and made a starter. keeping it at 95 degrees on my stir plate with an electric fermentation heater. so my questions are... am i totally wrong to do this? and can i chill the lacobacillus starter to separate it like i would with a yeast starter? this is my first time using Lactobacillus and making a Berliner Weisse.

i think my plan is to split a ten gallon batch into two 5 gallon carboys and pitch one with a white labs german ale/kolsch yeast and the other with the Lactobacillus, and then mix before bottling.

thoughts?

thanks!
-mike brenner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

here's a thread that might help:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/doe...-right-165803/

sounds like you're doing everything well. i can't answer the question about cold crashing lacto, though. i'm not sure, but it sounds like that would work fine. i typically just pitch the whole starter, but that's me and i'm not as anal as a lot of people when it comes to certain procedures.

in the lambic & wild brewing section there are alot of threads about lacto. after searching for lacto cold crash i came up with this thread that loosely states lacto won't cold crash. or at least that's what i make of it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/stra...blonde-132129/

"2009/7/29
Started cold crash from room temp (~72F). Used frozen PET water bottles and ~1LB ice blocks from tupperware to bring cooler temp down, swapping out when ice is depleted.

2009/07/30:
morning temp is 41F, added 4 ice blocks + 8 PET bottles, by afternoon temp was at 35F and held steady.

2009/07/31:
morning temp went back up to 40F overnight, but quickly cooled to 35.

2009/08/01:
temp still at 35F, pulled out of cold bath and transferred to bottling bucket at 3:30pm.

There was a very thin white layer of what looked like possible lactobacillus floating on surface of fermenter, but no off flavors whatsoever."

Last edited by jessup; 03-25-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
MikeBrenner
Recipes 

yeah, i guess i'll probably just pitch the whole thing. i also read to pitch in more lacto right before bottling. it's gonna be interesting. that's for sure

Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

pitch the lacto prior to the sacch, otherwise you get limited funk.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
MikeBrenner
Recipes 

ok. thanks. i'll definitely do that.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
redbone
Recipes 

If you are trying to do a starter for Lacto... I'm confused on your method. Lacto works aerobically. So, why the stirplate? Am I wrong?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
WDT
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I just listened to the old Jamil Show podcast on the Berliner Weisse. He said for best results put a fresh tube of Yeast and Lacto in at the same time and let ferment out until finished.

If you wanted more sour, put the lacto in first to get a head start then pitch yeast. Or vice versa for less sour. No starter was mentioned as the SG was low to begin with (1.037 for their beer).

Tags
berliner weisse, lactobacillus, starter

Quick Reply