Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > krausen Ring Size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
apollner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default krausen Ring Size

Any advice is appreciated.

I just took a hydro reading on a porter I brewed in a 5 gallon plastic fermenter. It had been fermenting for a full week. When I opened it up to get a beer sample, I noticed what I consider to be a not very significantly large krausen ring in the bucket. I estimate it to be about 1.5 inches. My first batch ever, I had like 3 or 4 inches.

As far as you guys know, as much more experienced homebrewers that you all are, is this any indication of the quality of my brew or the fermentation of the beer or in general, should I be worried or disappointed?

Again, thanks in advance. I appreciate your feedback and information.

-Ap

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Krausen rings in my fermenters are never consistent in size, even with the same yeast, pitching rate, ferm temps, and grain bill. As long as there's signs that the beer fermented I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
apollner
Recipes 

Thanks PHenry!

I'm was quite concerned because this is like my 5th batch of beer and all previous have been pretty bad. In my opinion, this is mostly due to not taking sanitation as seriously as I should. This time I was very careful with sanitation and used Starsan etc....... So, when I saw how small the fermentation ring was, I was quite concerned.

Thanks again!

Ap

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2690

Krausen size doesn't mean anything. All that matters is gravity readings and taste..

Quick Reply