Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Krausen or left over StarSan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
SciencePig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Krausen or left over StarSan

So I didn't fear the foam on this brew but the fermentation appears a little different. More for curiosity than anything is the reason for my question. I had some foam left in the carboy when transferring from the kettle and there was a lot of foam in the carboy after the transfer was complete.

Time had passed and I added the yeast. about 12 hours later I have active fermentation. The concern is the Krausen I am used to seeing is not there, I see a lot of foam. I posted a picture for visual aide. I know at this point it doesn't really matter because it is fermenting but I am a little worried about the flavor and harmful affect it may have on the beer and my body when consumed.

thanks!

k1.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's no need to worry about harmful effects or flavor with starsan, even with a ton of foam. It breaks down in benign components that the yeast love, and that are found in many things we consume, such as soda pops.

Nothing to worry about.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
SciencePig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks Revvy

Bottle: Oktoberfest

Quick Reply