LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Joseph524
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Krausen

Hello
I am wondering about krausen with all grain BIAB. I have been doing extract for a couple years. Switched to BIAB this year. I read about a lot of people using blow off tube and such. Since I have been doing BIAB my beers have been better. But a lot less krausen maybe an inch but not much more. Less then the extract brews. Everything ferments to spec gravity wise. Big brew 8% or 5% all the same. Is this common?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph524 View Post
Hello
I am wondering about krausen with all grain BIAB. I have been doing extract for a couple years. Switched to BIAB this year. I read about a lot of people using blow off tube and such. Since I have been doing BIAB my beers have been better. But a lot less krausen maybe an inch but not much more. Less then the extract brews. Everything ferments to spec gravity wise. Big brew 8% or 5% all the same. Is this common?
I don't know the answer to your question. If your beer tastes good and attenuates appropriately for the type of beer you are making, I don't think it should be a concern.

Maybe the difference you are noticing is because the the wort make up of an all grain brew vs an extract brew. Anecdotaly, I think I get messier/bigger krausens when I get a lot of trub in the fermenter. So, maybe your brew in bag is filtering a lot of that trub out -- I don't know.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
ram5ey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Just make sure you are pitching a lot of good healthy yeast. Some beers I need a blow off, others not. I've never seen a correlation to any one variable.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Yeast never krausen the same. Aeration, fermentation temp, mash temp... All change how even the same strain will krausen. Like RmikeVT said if you are not having any issues with stalling or off flavors you are good.

Next: 2 test batches of stout (1gal each).
Primary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14), Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14)
Tertiary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Water and Craft Beer

Quick Reply