Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Kolsch Yeast...is this normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
curlyfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Kolsch Yeast...is this normal?

I brewed a batch of an amber beer with a Kolsch yeast (WYeast 2565). Why? Because I had a big starter (4 quarts) and didn't feel like making a traditional kolsch.

It's an 11g batch that I brewed two weeks ago tomorrow. It took off within hours, but still has a full krausen! I'm worried because it's basically an open fermentation (12g bucket with loose fitting lid), and I rarely leave beer like that for more than a week, but don't want to transfer until fermentation is basically done.

SO.....is this normal for Kolsch yeast? And should I worry and transfer? Or forget about it for another week?

P.S. It's in a temp controlled freezer with probe taped to the bucket, set at 60f (the recommended temp for this yeast).

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Patience grasshopper....

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep that Kölsch yeast at 60º for another week then take a gravity reading to see where it's at. I also wouldn't worry about the bucket and lid. As long as you don't keep opening it, the headspace should be mostly CO2.

Lately I have been keeping all my beers in primary for at least 3 weeks.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
curlyfat
Recipes 

I'm generally a 3+ week primary guy, but when I don't want to take up two carboys, and both freezers, I use the bucket. I've never had krausen this long, even with lagers. I'm not "worried" about the batch, but the long active fermentation is throwing me off, and making me question "just how clean is that freezer?"

I'm curious about any specific experience with Kolsch yeast, though. I've never used it before, and bought it on a whim last month. Is it a pretty "slow" yeast generally?

Edit: I should point out that the SG was 1.056, currently a little under 1.020. Just for informational purposes.

2. Hefeweizen

Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I've used the Wyeast kölsch strain twice, and both times it's taken 3+ weeks for the kräusen to fall. It sounds normal, and since you're doing a "semi open" fermentation, it's probably for the best. The kräusen will protect the beer underneath.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Ibrewaletx
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've just used the same yeast for two batches as more of an experiment. They were a Pale Ale and an IPA pitched on the cake.
I did notice the krausen longer than say WLP001/US05 etc, but was fallen away completely around 2 weeks. I did ferment around 63-64 though, so that may have sped it up a bit.
I have noticed now going through the whole process with this yeast that it does not floc well at all either. It has taken a full 4 weeks to get the carboy to look fairly clear on my 2nd batch.
It sounds like you are OK and should have nothing to worry about.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I'm generally a 3+ week primary guy, but when I don't want to take up two carboys, and both freezers, I use the bucket. I've never had krausen this long, even with lagers. I'm not "worried" about the batch, but the long active fermentation is throwing me off, and making me question "just how clean is that freezer?"

I'm curious about any specific experience with Kolsch yeast, though. I've never used it before, and bought it on a whim last month. Is it a pretty "slow" yeast generally?

Edit: I should point out that the SG was 1.056, currently a little under 1.020. Just for informational purposes.
Been brewing Kolsch beer for several years now and I've noticed that the 2565 holds on to its krausen longer than a typical 1065 yeast.

I have a washed 2565 that is 3 years old. It takes another day on the stirplate to wake it up but it has preformed great for me. In fact, the last Kolsch I made with it just took 2nd in the homebrew contest at the WI State fair in the light hybrid catagory. I like this yeast.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I kegged a Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yesterday. Fermented for three weeks at 55F or so ambient. I did not look at it until after the three weeks, but by that point the krausen had fallen, and it had hit FG. There was a ton of yeast in the hydro sample. I dry-hopped (no-chill adjustment) and gave it a week at 65F, then cold crashed at 34F, added gelatin after two days, and racked clear beer after 12 days total cold crash. I suspect it would have been clear after 7 days cold crash, had I had time to rack it.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
curlyfat
Recipes 

[quote=Ibrewaletx;2192708
I have noticed now going through the whole process with this yeast that it does not floc well at all either. It has taken a full 4 weeks to get the carboy to look fairly clear on my 2nd batch.
It sounds like you are OK and should have nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE]

According to the Jamil Show on kolsch, he actually recommends filtering since its not flocculent at all.

Quote:
I've used the Wyeast kölsch strain twice, and both times it's taken 3+ weeks for the kräusen to fall. It sounds normal, and since you're doing a "semi open" fermentation, it's probably for the best. The kräusen will protect the beer underneath.
Today 05:44 AM
That makes me feel better. It's just sort of a new experience for me. I've gotten good at quick, rapid, and clean ferments and this thing really threw me off!
2. Hefeweizen

Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
curlyfat
Recipes 

Ok. Here we are at day 29. I checked again.

and...

REALLY?!? Now, I'm wondering about my temp controller's accuracy, and how good my sanitation actually is!

I want to point out that this isn't "newbie" syndrome, I've made beer for 8 years, and just never used this yeast before. I have just never seen it this long with krausen! Geeze. In any case, I am most definitely going to RDWHAHB. I might just try to forget it for a another couple weeks.

2. Hefeweizen

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
curlyfat
Recipes 

Oh, and if the krausen looks a little odd, I will point out that I use FermCap.

2. Hefeweizen

Quick Reply