Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Kolsch advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Kolsch advice

So I'm planning on a kolsch tomorrow. Not sure about my temperature control. I will be brewing in my 65 degree basement and using a cool brew with ice bottles for tem control. I can probably get the temp down just below 60 in the cool brew is there a good plan for the temps? Should I just keep it as cool as I can for two eweeks? Start warm then cool? What is good for a kolsch. I'm using the white labs kolsch yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

If anything start cool and go warmer but if you can hold that temp for two weeks do that. 60* should be good.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcclure
So I'm planning on a kolsch tomorrow. Not sure about my temperature control. I will be brewing in my 65 degree basement and using a cool brew with ice bottles for tem control. I can probably get the temp down just below 60 in the cool brew is there a good plan for the temps? Should I just keep it as cool as I can for two eweeks? Start warm then cool? What is good for a kolsch. I'm using the white labs kolsch yeast.
I brewed my kolsch 3 weeks ago pitched with starter made with white labs wpl029 1st week kept temp at around 63-65 degrees in swamp cooler then lowered the temp gradually to 54degrees and held there for 2 weeks, just removed from swamp cooler today to let warm back to ale temps to finish. First week sample tasted a little sulfuric. 2 week lagered samples have tasted really good so far, very clear.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
stevebuscemi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used that yeast recently, I do the same thing with tub of water and ice bottles. Started real cold around 60 let it warm up over the first week to around 65 and eventually 68ish probably should have kept it cooler to keep it authentic but I'm lazy. It's only been in bottle for 2-3 weeks but it tastes pretty clean, definitely has a slight fruity ester to it but nothing extreme.

Quick Reply