Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Killed yeast in starter. Pitch new packet?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
DerekS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Default Killed yeast in starter. Pitch new packet?

Well had a great brew day, thoroughly sanitized everything, aerated well, and was only a 1.042 beer. Was expecting the fermentation to take off after having made a starter (Wyeast1007 German Ale) but absolutely nothing was happening by the 24 hour mark, so I shook up my fermenting bucket to try and get something going.

Well I was away for work and had my wife make my starter and when I was trying to find out what was going on we realized that she did not cool the starter wort in an ice bath but just left it sitting for 30 minutes to cool on its own.

So realizing the unfortunate circumstance of her killing the yeast in that hot bath I was planning on buying another yeast pack today to pitch in; but yesterday around the 40 hour mark to my surprise the airlock was going off really good, I guess somehow a few lucky ones survived!

So now for my question; do I still pitch in another pack to help out or do I wait and see if this thing attenuates, and if not all the way only then pitch again?

__________________
DerekS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Bearclaw215
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 165
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

If fermentation has visibly started there's enough yeast in there another packet most likely isn't going to be of much help. Chances are there was plenty in there to begin with and there was just some lag. Just let it do its thing.

__________________

Primary: Soon to be lots and lots of cider
Secondary:
Kegged: Strong Scotch Ale
Bottles: Grape Peach Wine, Grape Raspberry Wine

Bearclaw215 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
DerekS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw215 View Post
If fermentation has visibly started there's enough yeast in there another packet most likely isn't going to be of much help. Chances are there was plenty in there to begin with and there was just some lag. Just let it do its thing.
So how do you suppose the yeast survived the hot wort, at what temperature will they die? Was 30 minutes enough time to cool and maybe the yeast were just used to hot fermentation temperatures and were slow to want to work in the 70 degree wort?
__________________
DerekS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Bearclaw215
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 165
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

~140F kills, ~120F injures yeast and rehydration is done at ~90, so the little guys are quite resilient. I can't guess what temp your starter might have been at but it obviously wasn't enough to kill them all off and they reproduced in the starter. The lag time can be from a few things like underpitching, 10F+ starter/wort temp difference shocking the yeast or a few other things. Trust me you yeast is happier in 70F wort than what it was in, each yeast has its fermentation range where its at its best and its good to stay around that or you risk stressing it. I wouldn't worry too much just take care not to scald your poor yeast again

__________________

Primary: Soon to be lots and lots of cider
Secondary:
Kegged: Strong Scotch Ale
Bottles: Grape Peach Wine, Grape Raspberry Wine

Bearclaw215 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
CraigKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 123
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Important lesson learned here - don't let your wife/gf brew your beer.

__________________
CraigKing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
DerekS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw215 View Post
~140F kills, ~120F injures yeast and rehydration is done at ~90, so the little guys are quite resilient. I can't guess what temp your starter might have been at but it obviously wasn't enough to kill them all off and they reproduced in the starter. The lag time can be from a few things like underpitching, 10F+ starter/wort temp difference shocking the yeast or a few other things. Trust me you yeast is happier in 70F wort than what it was in, each yeast has its fermentation range where its at its best and its good to stay around that or you risk stressing it. I wouldn't worry too much just take care not to scald your poor yeast again
Lol yeah will do. Next time I'll have to make a checklist sheet for her if I am away again. Thanks, I appreciate all the help!
__________________
DerekS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
yogensha
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
yogensha's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 193
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigKing View Post
Important lesson learned here - don't let your wife/gf brew your beer.
Or make sure your starter is done before you pitch it. It takes seconds to pour a little taste.
__________________
yogensha is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making a starter with more the one packet of yeast phalogore Fermentation & Yeast 2 03-18-2014 05:45 PM
Starter in tequila bottle, killed yeast? Acyr90 Fermentation & Yeast 5 03-05-2013 05:14 AM
First yeast starter -- sanitation fail -- pitch it or pitch it (out) pjhurl Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-18-2013 05:19 AM
Does my yeast packet with built in starter, need a starter? dassy Fermentation & Yeast 130 01-24-2012 05:33 PM
Starter or pitch from the packet? dmbnpj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 33 11-18-2009 09:47 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS