LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default Keg as fermenter

I've read a few threads in which people talk about using cornys as fermenters.

What are people doing about the co2? Some kind of airlock attachment? Or just letting the keg pressurize?

Any info would be great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
McGuerin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupidacabra
I've read a few threads in which people talk about using cornys as fermenters.

What are people doing about the co2? Some kind of airlock attachment? Or just letting the keg pressurize?

Any info would be great!
I have been told that the co2 is vented through the pressure relief valve at the top of the keg once the co2 has built up enough. I have sugar primed in a corny before and it built up a considerable amount of pressure. When I manually vented it, it shot out of the valve and all over the ceiling. You might be able to get away with using is as a secondary but a catastrophic failure of the valve in the primary could be very dangerous. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
72Chevelle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

they make the lids with the airlocks on them already or you could probably make one easily

Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Use a spundig

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/spun...le-diy-333907/

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use corny kegs as fermentors. Made my own air locks using a standard gas side quick disconnect and basic plumbing parts. I typically set them up like a blow off tube...just run a hose from the gas side to a small container (plastic bottle) containing a water/sanitizer or water/alcohol mix. This way the pressure relief vavle is still in tact...just in case.

Relying on the standard pressure relief valve as the primary means of venting will build up way too much pressure (about 125psi IIRC), unless you manually vent it...which would be very inconvenient during active ferm. I do sometimes leave kegs in secondary w out an air lock, but manually venting them every few days is all thats needed.

Just ordered a "spunding" valve, which is basically an adjustable pressure relief valve, for naturally carbonating in a keg. Traditionally, but with older tech obviously, this technique was used to carbonate lagers over a long period of time. I plan to use it for this purpose during lagering or secondary and continue to use airlock/blow off tube during primary. I dont think a spunding valve would be a good idea for primary because it is more likely to clog (its only designed for venting gas...not trub from really active ferm) and there is no reason to pressurize during primary.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just ordered the valve below. My plan is to connect it to a gas side QD to make a spunding valve for kegs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 800 Posts

Corny kegs are generally rated for 150 psi, and the PRVs are typically set for 85 psi. Either way, that seems pretty high for happy yeast. I prefer fermenting in glass, but if I was going to tie up a keg for fermentation I'd remove the In post poppet and run a blow-off hose...

Cheers!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I use corniest as fermenters and I just remove the gas intake post and stick a standard beer line tube to use as a blow off. Works beautifully and requires very little modifications (just unscrewing the post) to the keg. I used to transfer the beer with CO2 as well but it was more hassle then it was worth - I just use a siphon now and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
I just ordered the valve below. My plan is to connect it to a gas side QD to make a spunding valve for kegs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
good find.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You need to check out the "Closed vessel pressurized fermentation" thread; it has lots of tried and true methods for using a keg as a fermenter. Be careful cause not all regulators have stainless springs eventually rust and stick. Also don't expect to be able to "dial in" a specific pressure, it won't happen with any of the affordable regulators. McMaster Carr sells one that is made of polysulfane (I think) and stainless steel. It works well and is touted in the aforementioned thread.

Quick Reply