Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > keeping primary cool?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
coldrice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hmm, I never ferment in BetterBottles, though I do have two that I just use for secondaries. So you're saying a 5 gallon Ale Pale doesn't fit? That sux, because it seems a more efficient idea than the swamp bucket method...though I suppose I could ferment in a BetterBottle, you can't squeeze a hop bag into it...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrice View Post
Hmm, I never ferment in BetterBottles, though I do have two that I just use for secondaries. So you're saying a 5 gallon Ale Pale doesn't fit? That sux, because it seems a more efficient idea than the swamp bucket method...though I suppose I could ferment in a BetterBottle, you can't squeeze a hop bag into it...
I don't have a 5 gallon ale pail- I don't even know if they make them. My ale pail is 6.5 gallons. I make the lids- so I can put whatever I want in there. The original lid is hollow, so I just took it off and made other lids out of foam.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
coldrice
Recipes 

No, you're right, there is no 5 gal Ale Pale I always just call it that cuz I have idiotic tendencies. Are you saying the Ale Pale lid won't fit? Or are you saying it just won't fit with the original cooler lid, but the one you fabricated is ok?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrice View Post
No, you're right, there is no 5 gal Ale Pale I always just call it that cuz I have idiotic tendencies. Are you saying the Ale Pale lid won't fit? Or are you saying it just won't fit with the original cooler lid, but the one you fabricated is ok?
The lid in the picture is made for a carboy. In order to do it with an ale pail, I use a different lid set up. I have it so just the airlock pokes out, to better insulate the cooler.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm planning on building a foam box to put over an air conditioning vent to keep my 6.5 gallon buckets cool this summer. Building to fit 3 6.5 gallon buckets or glass carboy combo.

I've used a big cooler and a water bath in the past (make sure bucket is draped in towel and towel extends into water in cooler. evaporation seems to drop temp by almost 10°.) could only fit 1 bucket at a time in the cooler bath... seems like lately I have at least 2 going at any given time.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
DerfBrew
Recipes 

Default Son of a Fermentation Chiller?

If you have the space to build a Fermentation Chiller, this thing is great.

http://www.blackcanyonbrewers.com/Bl...es/chiller.pdf

Your temperatures can be maintained within a few degrees. It will easily maintain ale temps in the heat of summer, and you can leave it alone for a couple of days with no worries. If you have a balcony on your apartment, you could probably get away with putting it out there.

I used mine in my garage last summer, and it was fine. But I am thinking of making it better this year. I have an idea about setting up some ducting so it will draw in the cold air from my crawlspace instead of needing ice. I haven't thought it through very well yet, but I think it could be done.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread as I've been battling keeping my primary warm the past few days. We've been going through a cold spell here in NoCal and my house is dipping into the low 60's...I know, I know, we're spoiled up here, but this is below the ideal fermentation temps. I guess a fermentation chamber of sorts is the way to go...

Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
s1080
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yooperbrew: That is the coolest idea I have ever seen!!! The moment I get out of work I'm headin to walmart Right now I'm just using a 20 gallon Rubbermaid container with a bunch of frozen water bottles but your setup looks way more efficient. Thanks for the pic!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I have the same cooler as yooper but instead of the foam lid I put two beach towels over it now. First batch I didn't cover it and I was rotating two half gallon bottles at a time to keep the temps into the low 60s/upper 50s. With the blanket now I can keep it with one bottle ever 18 hours.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
coldrice
Recipes 

Here's a small addition to the thread, while mostly within the same topic: once bottled, what does everyone do to keep the fruits of their labor within a reasonable temperature? I built an 8x4 styrofoam beer cooler in my attic that I cycle two frozen gallons of water through in the summer. I manage to keep it at 65F that way, which isn't ideal but is far better than 95F. Its fairly well organized, I have managed to fit about 175 beer bottles and 50 wine bottles in it and there is still room for more.

Quick Reply