Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Keeping the fermentation cold.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
homebrewer_wes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaSaBiS View Post
I use a mini fridge and a chest freezer with a temp controller. But without this, get a rubbermaid cooler and add water in it close to or lower than your desired temp (assuming the beer is warmer than the water) The water surrounding your carboy acts as a buffer with its extra thermal mass, prevents temp fluxuations.

If you really are fermenting one gallon at a time as seen in your pic, I would assume the $60 temp controller and $100 dollar fridge would probably an excessive purchase
Oh this is only a start. I plan on moving up fast. I'm either gonna get another 1 gallon so i can rack(or have 2 brews going at once). Or im going to start looking into bigger sized ones. So, I'm really considering a mini-fridge. Because I can get them used cheaper then $100.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_wes View Post
So, I'm really considering a mini-fridge. Because I can get them used cheaper then $100.
If you're going the freezer/fridge route (which I did at the very start since I already had a spare chest freezer sitting unused in the garage), you can do it pretty darn inexpensively.

1) STC-1000 controller (get the 110v version, Amazon or eBay) wired up with a standard outlet mounted in a plastic box. I used an old computer speaker case for the box. It will keep your fermentation at whatever temp you set it (I set a +/-0.5C)

Follow the Youtube video here for wiring it --
There are also a few simple wiring diagrams on this forum.

2) A very effective and cheap heat source is the DIY paint can heater found here -- http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html With a 90 watt bulb, mine gets very warm quickly.

By using some stuff I already had laying around (paint can, cord, etc), I rigged the whole thing for about $30. I love being able to precisely control the temp. Set it and forget it.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Lagering takes 6-8 weeks at the coldest possible temps without freezing. i.e. 34°F. Not 24hrs. Just a heads up there. Keep reading man, you will get there.

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
homebrewer_wes
Recipes 

O.O Man this guy needs to do more research before making a guide for the kit he sells then. His step by step said 24 hours. Then he's telling me because of the weather its no surprise that laggering is taking longer then 24 hours. So, I can have it as cold as 40?

Quick Reply