Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Keeping the fermentation cold.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
homebrewer_wes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keeping the fermentation cold.

So, I bought a kit, and the instructions said to keep it cold... Use a damp towel and a fan. To warm it up use a dry towel. Yeah, this is nice but their has to be an easier way. I was wondering about mini-fridges. How you can you use one as a fermentation chamber?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They're are a few ways. The most common I've seen, and the one I went for because it also seems the cheapest ($50 not counting the freezer), is wiring a two stage temp controller. I used a 14cuft chest freezer because I hope to make a lot of beer. Youtube and this forum are overflowing with instructions and tips.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
homebrewer_wes
Recipes 

Hmmm. Never thought of that.... Well, I got it in my fridge right now. My actual fridge. Because it's day two and it still hasn't hit the second stage due to not cold enough. So hopefully I just remember to keep warming it up because my fridge goes down to 40 and I need this to be between 60 - 65

Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
DRonco
Recipes 

Yeah, unless you're lagering, 40 would be WAY too cool. Depending on the yeast strain 60 maybe as well. Depending on your climate, you might be able to set the fermenter in a dark corner of the house. The yeast generate about 5-10 degrees in the first 4-5 days so keep that in mind if you decide to try to regulate with ambient temp.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
homebrewer_wes
Recipes 

Well so far, Day 2. I got a stick on temp thing.... It's showing greenish on 68 and dark blue on 66.

This is what it looks like right now. I was told the lagering stage takes only 24 hours. So im a bit worried im not getting it cold enough.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
DRonco
Recipes 

You could put it in an ice bath. That might help. I think you'll be fine.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I use a mini fridge and a chest freezer with a temp controller. But without this, get a rubbermaid cooler and add water in it close to or lower than your desired temp (assuming the beer is warmer than the water) The water surrounding your carboy acts as a buffer with its extra thermal mass, prevents temp fluxuations.

If you really are fermenting one gallon at a time as seen in your pic, I would assume the $60 temp controller and $100 dollar fridge would probably an excessive purchase

I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What about a swamp cooler? I put a plastic tote in my spare bath, (as its the darkest room in the house) put cold water in the tote about 1/4 of the way up, then add the 6 gallon carboy. I can regulate the temp by adding 32oz. ice bottles and taking them out as needed. If I need to warm it up, I dip water out and replace it with hot water. It's proven to be winner keeping my current batch in check.

image.jpg  

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Topher-strange way to use a bung (no pun intended). never thought to use it upside down. what got you to try that?

I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaSaBiS View Post
Topher-strange way to use a bung (no pun intended). never thought to use it upside down. what got you to try that?
When I bought my starter kit from the LHBS I opted for the glass carboys, but they gave me the pieces for better bottles and buckets. I was just using what I had available, as the LHBS is a hour away. It fits really snug, and has worked fine for 10 batches...even with this one at the verge of adding a blow off tube, and I haven't thought to buy the correct one.

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Quick Reply