Just bottled...noticed bubbling. B-BOMBS??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brdrumz

Reaction score
Just bottled a batch of "Beach Blonde Ale" last night.
I used Safebrew-33 as my yeast for this batch.

This beer came out a bit hazier then expected, and it's been 16 days since primary fermentation started. (in other words, I bottled 16 days after fermentation started.) OG - 1.062 - FG - 1.012.

This yeast took off fast and basically all airlock activity stopped after 36 hours.
72 degrees was the fermentation temp. Dropped to 64 degrees after airlock stopped activity.

In just 2 hours after bottling I noticed bubbling in the bottle. Already working to carbonate. My concern is today (12 hours after bottling) I can actually see the yeast moving up and down in the bottle like it's still fermenting. What concerns me is....DO I HAVE BOTTLE BOMBS IN THE WORKS or is the beer so light in color (3.71 L) that it's just easier to see?

I don't need these things to start exploding in a few days.
Should I put these beers in the fridge and eventually "open and recap" or just let it go and see what happens? (I don't need to clean up a mess or have anyone get hurt.)

I have the bottled beers in open boxes, w/plastic garbage bags over them just in case. Any thoughts from BOTTLE BOMB experts???

Lastly, I primed with 3.5 oz. of corn sugar/brown sugar mix. w/ 16 oz. of water, (4.75 gallon batch) If that helps any questions.

Not sure. Youe gravity was stable at 1.012 for 2-3 days? If it was then I would not worry much. If you are truly worried put something like a big plastic tote to contain shrapnel and spilled beer

1.012 should be safe, especially if it was an extract recipe. The key is not the actual number, but rather if that number was stable.

I will be bottling a Russian Imperial Stout soon. My FG on that recipe is 1.024. While that may sound high, it is exactly what my brewing software predicted the final gravity would be, and it has been stable at that gravity for over a week. I am not worried about bottle bombs on that batch at all...

The key to bottling safely is STABLE gravity. If you had 1.012 for at least 2 or 3 days, you have nothing to worry about.

If you're worried then put the bottles in the bathtub for the next couple weeks just in case they do explode and then chill (assuming it didn't explode) and test to see if it's over carbbed and recap if needed at that time

Back