Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Jolly Pumpkin 'yeast'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Jolly Pumpkin 'yeast'

Has anyone tried harvesting the yeast/beasties from Jolly Pumpkin?

I've got a bottle of La Roja in the fridge, and I've heard that Jolly Pumpkin's stuff all has some funk in it. Can it be harvested?

I've got a brown/red in the keezer thats pretty cloying because I used too much crystal and mashed too high, and it sounds like a good candidate to let the funk out on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I've never tried and never specifically heard of anybody that has. They do however bottle condition, so it would be possible. I don't think they are truly spontaneously fermenting, but they do use a house cocktail of bugs.

Throw the dregs onto a stirplate and see if it takes off!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I don't think they are truly spontaneously fermenting, but they do use a house cocktail of bugs.
They don't claim to spontaneously ferment, they say that they "open ferment" and certainly innoculate the wort with their house blend.

As for harvesting I would say it's certainly possible. I drank a Weizen Bam a couple nights ago and it had a good 1/2" of dregs.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Ice9
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
They don't claim to spontaneously ferment, they say that they "open ferment" and certainly innoculate the wort with their house blend.

As for harvesting I would say it's certainly possible. I drank a Weizen Bam a couple nights ago and it had a good 1/2" of dregs.

Does anyone in Fort Wayne carry any of the JP beers? I've been wanting to try them for a while now.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning: Orfy's Boddington's clone, Orfy's Old Speckled Hen clone, SN Celebration clone
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice9 View Post
Does anyone in Fort Wayne carry any of the JP beers? I've been wanting to try them for a while now.
No, their distribution is very hit or miss. I was at the brewery not that long ago and picked a few up, unfortunately since they have two brewpubs opening soon they only had 3 beers to choose from. I am going up to Ann Arbor again this weekend, if you want me to look for a specific one for you shoot me a PM. Or if you don't have anything going on Labor Day a few of us from the club are getting together at a guys house and I plan to bring one or two of them to try. I know at least a couple guys will be brewing and the rest of us will be talking beer and drinking.

Quick Reply