Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > It's Barleywine time again and I have some yeast questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
If you want to be 100% sure you'll have enough yeast... just brew a simple extract pale ale a week before the barley wine, and pitch onto the cake for that. I did that for the 12% ABV 10-10-10 brew, and it took off like a rocket and attenuated really well.
When you do that, you don't have to worry about resanatising the carboy do you?

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
If you want to be 100% sure you'll have enough yeast... just brew a simple extract pale ale a week before the barley wine, and pitch onto the cake for that. I did that for the 12% ABV 10-10-10 brew, and it took off like a rocket and attenuated really well.
+1

I brewed an amber that clocked in at 6.5% with WLP 001, when it was done, I pitced my bw onto it. By itself, it would have bween 13.5% +/-, I fed it incrementally 4.5 lbs of sugars and dme. It came down to 1.022. I don't remember all the numbers now, but I do remember the abv being around 18%.

I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
When you do that, you don't have to worry about resanatising the carboy do you?
Nope, just toss the fresh wort in there. That's what I did.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Ya know, I've got a Double IPA in my main fermentor right now that should be ready for bottling right around when I'm going to brew the Barleywine. It's a massive beer so the yeasties should be decently aclimated to the high alcohol range already.

If I bottled it on Friday and brewed on Saturday is that too long of a strect to keep the yeast in the fermentor? Should I maybe rack it off the yeast cake and immedietly throw a starter's worth of DME in water onto the yeast cake so it doesn't dry out and then throw my ferm lock back on it?

"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 11-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #15
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Ya know, I've got a Double IPA in my main fermentor right now that should be ready for bottling right around when I'm going to brew the Barleywine. It's a massive beer so the yeasties should be decently aclimated to the high alcohol range already.

If I bottled it on Friday and brewed on Saturday is that too long of a strect to keep the yeast in the fermentor? Should I maybe rack it off the yeast cake and immedietly throw a starter's worth of DME in water onto the yeast cake so it doesn't dry out and then throw my ferm lock back on it?
How high was the OG of the IIPA?

If it was high, pitching onto the cake might not be a good idea. The IIPA yeast have been put through the ringer and may not be as healthy as you would like. This is why the previous poster mentioned making an APA for the cake.

If you decide to use this method however...

You should try to coordinate it so that they are happening at the same time.
Get all your bottling stuff together and stop just short of filling the bottles. Then brew the barleywing. While the wort is cooling, fill the bottles. The rack the wort onto the yeast cake.

Good luck.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
How high was the OG of the IIPA?

Thanks for the words of advice.

On a side note, I want to use liguid yeast. When people say use a big starter does that mean when I make my started to make it a "high gravity" starter, or just use a regular starter and pitch two yeast vials instead of one?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #17
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I dont see the problem with making a stepped starter like I plan on doing. That way you dont have too much yeast.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #18
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I would agree with making a 1.040-1.050 blonde/pale ale with 001/1056 and then using that cake. If it does not attenuate fully, then pitch an active starter of 099.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #19
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
On a side note, I want to use liguid yeast. When people say use a big starter does that mean when I make my started to make it a "high gravity" starter, or just use a regular starter and pitch two yeast vials instead of one?
If you're gonna do a starter- there's no reason to spend the extra $7 on another vial of yeast. Just make a bigger starter. Personally I wouldn't even bother stepping it up. With good liquid yeast it's kind of a waste of time. Just do this:

1. make a gallon starter, pitch one vial of yeast
2. after a few days, transfer it to the fridge to get the yeast to drop out
3. siphon off the liquid, and let it come back up to room temperature
4. pitch the slurry into your barley wine

I've directly pitched vials of white labs yeast into 5 gallon batches without any issues... so making a gallon starter should be no problem at all for that amount of yeast.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #20
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a beer this big a one gallon starter really won't give you as much yeast as you need. If you go to Jamil's pitching rate calculator, it will tell you you need 417 billion cells for a 1.12 ale. You can achieve this cell count with one vial of liquid yeast, and a 10.77 liter starter. This is a lot bigger than most people want to make for a starter, so you probably want to do multiple steps. How to Brew by John Palmer has a good chart for predicting cell counts based on starter sizes, but I don't have my copy with me. I would suspect that you want to do a one gallon starter, chill it, decant off the wort, and then add another gallon of wort, at the very least.

Quick Reply