Issues figuring out how to regulate chest freezer with a419

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I have a 5.2 cubic foot chest freezer along with a Johnson a419 controller. I'm having issues keep the fermenter at a particular temp.

Currently I have 1 5 gallon carboy and 2 1 gallon jugs in there. All 3 are full of water, as I'm trying to get this down before I put beer in there.

I've tried all different things and let it sit for 15+ hours.

Trying to figure out how to keep the vessel around 62 degrees. I've tried all kinds of things with temperature and using the differential setting on the A419.

Can you please let me know how you set yours up to maintain the temp you want?

Where do you have your temperature probe?

Probe should be in a thermowell or attached to the side of the carboy covered with insulation such as bubble wrap. I use two big trash can rubber bands to hold my probe against the carboy with bubble wrap.

Also, make sure you have the chest freezer set to the coldest setting.

I'm not familiar with the a419 controller. Looking at the webpage it looks like it only controls either heating or cooling. Is it possible it is set for heating mode?

I had issues with this same controller. I put the probe in a hydrometer full of water and it worked fine. You might not have the same problem I did but its a free fix if it works.

Do you have a small fan connected to come on w/ the freezer? It'll help you hold a more constant temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Chest freezers just don't work like that. Since the refrigeration system doesn't have an evaporator fan, you will be happy to get +/- 5 depending on outside air pressure.

Basically it's all on or all off until your thermostat says different

Chest freezers just don't work like that. Since the refrigeration system doesn't have an evaporator fan, you will be happy to get +/- 5 depending on outside air pressure.

Basically it's all on or all off until your thermostat says different

The controller should be able to control a lot finer than +/-5. Mine is controlling a mini fridge in a chamber. I have it set to a 2 degree differential just so it doesn't cycle too often. It can be set finer than that.

The controller should be able to control a lot finer than +/-5. Mine is controlling a mini fridge in a chamber. I have it set to a 2 degree differential just so it doesn't cycle too often. It can be set finer than that.

Just think for a second about the difference in the temp of the coil and the air temp. It may keep you air temp finer but the kegs/fermenters are sitting on a piece of 3/8 plastic on top of a 10 degree coil. You can't change the temp of the refrigerant with a temp controller

I've tried a lot of methods, although the probe attached to carboy works okay I just lay the probe on the bottom of the freezer and set my controller at 56-57 degrees..my last IPA stayed at 62-63 the whole time. After 5 days I just warm it up a bit to let it finish.. If you have a strip thermometer on the side of the carboy peek in there once and a while to see what the actual beer temp is, adjust your controller from there.. i figure there's about a 7 degree difference from the controller and what you want your beer to be at...unless you get some kinda thermowell this has worked well for me..

Cheers, best of luck..

Back