Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ipa temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
cphit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ipa temps

I have a kegerator but the temp doesn't go above 46 degree. If I leave it off its about 80 inside which I know isn't good for my ipa. What should I expect if I tried fermenting at that low of a temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
cphit
Recipes 

I also used California yeast 001

Old 09-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fermenting 001 at 46 F.

You will get either:

- Nothing because it is too cold for the yeast to get started.

- High FG. The yeasts starts off, and keeps going thru active fermentation due to its own generated heat, once it starts to slow down it will cool and drop out of suspension.

If it were me, I'd get it started at room temp, place in cooler (maybe even before active fermentation has started), and then remove once again as it starts to slow down.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
hirambiram
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have never done this but I have seen it done. Place your fermenter in a larger tub, fill that tub with water until it is about a third of the way up the side of the fermenter and wrap a towel around the fermenter. Keep a box fan blowing on the fermenter. What happens is water will wick up the towel and the fan will cool it. I have seen this work when the air temp is 78 degrees. A simple stick on thermometer will let you monitor the fermention temp. It is a bit of work to maintian but you can expect to see a 6 to 8 degree drop from the air temp to the fermentation temp. There is a great youtube video of this here.

Cheers mate and good luck.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

For the next batch, make yourself a controller outlet box with an STC-1000 and plug the kegerator into that. The controller unit itself is a whopping $18-19 on Amazon. That way, you can set and hold whatever temp you want.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Buy this, Hook it up to your kegerator...then you have a kegerator/fermentation chamber. then you can set it and forget it. Just do it...you know you want to!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
cphit
Recipes 

Thanks for the info

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
BuckSwope
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirambiram
I have never done this but I have seen it done. Place your fermenter in a larger tub, fill that tub with water until it is about a third of the way up the side of the fermenter and wrap a towel around the fermenter. Keep a box fan blowing on the fermenter. What happens is water will wick up the towel and the fan will cool it. I have seen this work when the air temp is 78 degrees. A simple stick on thermometer will let you monitor the fermention temp. It is a bit of work to maintian but you can expect to see a 6 to 8 degree drop from the air temp to the fermentation temp. There is a great youtube video of this here.

Cheers mate and good luck.
Exactly what I do. Great advice man!

Quick Reply