*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > IPA on porter cake??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
aksea102
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default IPA on porter cake??

Hi All,
A friend is about to brew a porter extract w/ steeping grains kit, which calls for US-05 dry yeast. She was thinking of brewing a Bell's Two Hearted clone shortly after and reusing the yeast by putting the IPA directly on the porter cake. The Two Hearted clone also calls for US-05. She may even use a Wyeast liquid strain (I forget the number) for the porter and then put the IPA on that cake.
What are everyone's thoughts?
Thanks so much-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It is generally not a recommended practice to go from a heavier beer to a lighter beer when using the yeast cake. The yeast can carry things over from the heavier beer into the lighter one. More commonly those beers would be done in the other order, although the heavy hop bill of the IPA may also tend to influence the flavor of a Porter put on the cake.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just wash the yeast before repitching onto the IPA & she'll be fine. It's an extra step that doesn't take much time.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I'd wash it. I wouldn't want any of the roasty-ness of the porter getting into my IPA.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Quick Reply