Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Inoculating Slants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Chode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Inoculating Slants

I am just getting started with yeast culturing and my question is, if I am taking a yeast sample straight from a smack pack or vial, will I need to plate it first or are those strains pure enought to transfer straight to a slant for long term storage?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1232 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 561

There is no doubt that they are pure enough. Working out of a kitchen lab, it is unlikely you or I would ever be able to replicate the packaging sanitation systems that Wyeast and White Labs have.

That said, whether to culture straight from the vial/smackpack or to build a starter first represents a bit of a tradeoff. Culturing straight from the vial wins hands down for culture purity; building a starter first gives the yeast a chance to build up glycogen and trehalose reserves that may or may not have been depleted since it was packaged. If the yeast package is old, or if it has been mistreated at all, I would definitely build a starter. Otherwise, it's a judgement call...I tend to go straight from the package if I trust the place I bought it from.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I always go straight from the package out of simplicity. Saves me the hassle of making a starter. IMO it is easier to have to reculture a few months earlier than having to make a starter.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chode View Post
I am just getting started with yeast culturing and my question is, if I am taking a yeast sample straight from a smack pack or vial, will I need to plate it first or are those strains pure enought to transfer straight to a slant for long term storage?
Unlike dry yeast the strains in the liquid package are 100% pure. You are paying high dollar for them because they are high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply