infection? take a quick peek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenArmBrewing

Reaction score
So this is more of an trial. Ran 5 gallons 170 water thru a mash that was ready for the trash. Got 1025 out of it. Sweet! Mind you this wet mash sat covered over night.

Boiled and added homegrown cascade hops on a IPA schedule. Used washed yeast with no starter. No activity until 14 hours after put into fermenter. Then this...

I know I know, let it ride and see what happens. Just looking for your 2 cents

ForumRunner_20121126_174724.jpg

ForumRunner_20121126_174744.jpg

my guess is that those are yeast rafts..

what kind of yeast? US-05 does that a lot to my beers..

Since you left the mash sit overnight I would say you'd be very fortunate not to have some brett in there at the least. How does it smell?

Since you left the mash sit overnight I would say you'd be very fortunate not to have some brett in there at the least. How does it smell?
It sounds like it was boiled and hopped like any other beer -- killling Brett or whatever else.

It sounds like it was boiled and hopped like any other beer -- killling Brett or whatever else.

True, but if the MT was in close proximity to the boiled wort when cooled there may have been an opportunity for brett to migrate easily. Spent mash turns sour pretty quick in my experience.

headbanger said:
True, but if the MT was in close proximity to the boiled wort when cooled there may have been an opportunity for brett to migrate easily. Spent mash turns sour pretty quick in my experience.

The boiled wort never was close to the mash. All in all a weird batch. Maybe it was the IC or the fermenter. I was sloppy with the star san.

I'm not even going to try to spell it but basically it is wild yeast. If you were brewing a sour beer like a lambic, you would want the brett in it to produce the sour flavors.

I'm not even going to try to spell it but basically it is wild yeast. If you were brewing a sour beer like a lambic, you would want the brett in it to produce the sour flavors.

brett isn't what makes lambics sour, thats lacto & pedio

also, that isn't a brett infection

A brass fitting connected to it. Used a small piece of lumber that I zipped tied a wrench and lightly taped the nut to on the inside. Took a while to get it to get it together, and works ok. Better than a syphon!

Back