Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Infection!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPall View Post
I see what looks like some hops around the pellicle. Did you dry hop? If so, did you boil them before adding them? Just wondering what could have caused your infection.
Good eye by the way...you had the same thought as I did.

I freaked out the first time I dry hopped and had the same skin...Biermuncher posted a pic of his that showed me exactly that and that it was fine...and it was.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #12
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Absolutely. I completely agree about the misinformation that is spread against homebrewing. Most of the time it comes from a harmless source or someone using their "common sense" when it is not that simple.

On the other hand, I've never seen anything like that on top of a beer. Granted, I've only dry hopped a handful of times. Definitely take the advice and try it before you dump it. Who knows, it may be the best beer you've ever brewed.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I freaked out the first time I dry hopped and had the same skin...Biermuncher posted a pic of his that showed me exactly that and that it was fine...and it was.
Well there you go. Problem solved. Wonderful beer is being contained in that carboy. Get it out of there and drink up!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Well there you go. Problem solved. Wonderful beer is being contained in that carboy. Get it out of there and drink up!
Yeah, BUT, we can't even generalize with MY opinion, mine was fine, and so was biermunchers, BUT every fermentaton is different....The only way to know is if the OP actually tastes it for himself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #15
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, BUT, we can't even generalize with MY opinion, mine was fine, and so was biermunchers, BUT every fermentaton is different....The only way to know is if the OP actually tastes it for himself.
True enough. I just really wanted to use these:

Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #16
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I saw something very much like this in a friends brew once. Thankfully, I have not had this, but for his beer, we skimmed the floating stuff and siphoned carefully. The end product was a great beer.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #17
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Heere joo go!

It's a Flanders Red, "infected" with Wyeast's Roeselare Blend (Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, and Lactic bacteria). If your beer looks like this, it's probably infected with brett, lactic bacteria, or some other kind of similar stuff.

And here's the thing: it's very rare to "accidentally" create a sour beer that's any good. You need to start off with a good base for the style, use the bugs intended for that style, and age it accordingly. As with oak, many people think that, if they have a crappy batch of beer, they can "save" it by oaking it or adding bugs. Garbage in, garbage out, as the saying goes. Others accidentally get infected and people think they've made a lambic. Nay-nay. It's possible, but the odds are stacked against you in almost all possible ways. First, chances are that the base beer had too much bitterness and hop character to be a good base beer for a sour style. Second, the chances that you're accidentally infected with a bug that makes good sour beer are also minuscule. FYI.
I was just looking at an old thread, and it happen to look very similar to that beer. mmmmm bugs.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
WillPall

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

For the record, this:

Quote:
Looks quite a bit different than this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGaryFish View Post
Notice the uneven bubbles and strands of bacteria in Evan's picture, while the OP's beer has more of a uniform haze and no noticeable bacteria strands. Again, I think it does look infected, but as Revvy has stated, you have to try it to know for sure, and there is ample evidence that it is just a layer of hop oils.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
For the record, this:

Looks quite a bit different than this:

Notice the uneven bubbles and strands of bacteria in Evan's picture, while the OP's beer has more of a uniform haze and no noticeable bacteria strands. Again, I think it does look infected, but as Revvy has stated, you have to try it to know for sure, and there is ample evidence that it is just a layer of hop oils.

I agree with will, they DON'T look alike, The bubbles in the flanders look almost hairy, while the op's looks like I have seen before an oilslick rainbow.

Again this kinda game really serves no purpose except it breeds more fear and uncertainty in the new brewers looking on.All we're is conjecturing, the OP has to taste the beer....that's all there is to it.

We're not there, and we can analize pictures til we're blue in the face.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I see what looks like some hops around the pellicle. Did you dry hop? If so, did you boil them before adding them? Just wondering what could have caused your infection.
Who boils hops before dry hoping???
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Quick Reply