Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > infected, yeast of brew last, or wild? you judge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrew View Post
No other guesses? Wild yeast the best bet? Any way to test and tell what it actually is.
if you sent it in to a lab they could tell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it were mine, I'd let it go until the SG stops dropping, and then taste it. If it smells like beer bottle it and don't worry. If its an unhealthy bacteria, your gag reflex will probably toss it out of your mouth right quick. If it tastes OK, bottle. As a precaution I would cut the priming sugar to half what you would usually use. I have never had an infected batch, but from what I have read in other threads, bacteria in *general* ferment more slowly and drop to a lower SG. Reducing priming sugar should help reduce the likelyhood of bottle bombs should there be some bacteria working in there. Please update this thread when you are ready to taste. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out. Also, I'd be interested in hearing yur sanitizing procedure for the fermenter, beginning with emptying the fermenter from the previous batch. I'm thinking that perhaps some krausen fromn the previous batch stayed in the recess of the bucket and was transferred to the new one. If that's the case you simply have fermentation with an unplanned beer yeast.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
expatbrew
Recipes 

Day 3
forumrunner_20130130_225022.jpg
Everything looks normal at this point. Fermentation smells sweet; not sure if that is good or bad. Slow bubbles on airlock. I ferment in a little fridge so temp is about 60 f.

Okay so cleaning.
I first spray and rinse with the hose about 2 to 3 time.
Next, soap and a sponge wipe down inside and out.
Rinse a few more times
Dry.
Put in storage upside down
Rinse with water.
Let dry
Spray with Sanstar
Let sit 10 min
Let deep dry
Add wort

And more than happy to play guinea pig and bottle the batch. Living in Asia for 7 years, originally from USA, not much food wise scares me any more.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
crysond
Recipes 

Well if you look a little into spontaneous fermentation, the Saccharomyces(brewers yeast) always starts first and finishes most of the gravity, then everything else comes to play (brett, lactic bacteria, etc) over the next few months-years. So id be worried that it will sour over time in the bottle; drink it fast!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
expatbrew
Recipes 

Okay, as an update. Went ahead and bottled the beer, and everything turned out 'okay'.

No of flavor or aroma, but it stayed cloudy.

Drank the batch while it was fresh, to no ill effects.

Spent the weekend scrubbing all equipment, and giving it a good bleach soak.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
expatbrew
Recipes 

Okay, as an update. Went ahead and bottled the beer, and everything turned out 'okay'.

No of flavor or aroma, but it stayed cloudy.

Drank the batch while it was fresh, to no ill effects.

Spent the weekend scrubbing all equipment, and giving it a good bleach soak.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Spray with Sanstar
Let sit 10 min
Let deep dry
Add wort
Starsan is a wet contact sanitizer. You should not let it dry. Just spray and add the wort.

Quick Reply