Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Increasing Cell Counts in Starters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default Increasing Cell Counts in Starters

I just wanted to share what i have recently learned. I used to make my starters and just leave them sit until they were done. I would add nutrient to the boil of the wort and aerate..then pitch and forget about it.

To experiement, this week i have two big starters going and about 15 times a day I have been taking the airlocks off of the starters and vigoursly shaking and aerating the wort.

If I had to take a guess, I would say, that visually it appears as if I have at least 4 times the yeast as I normally would have if I simply would have left it alone.

I am sure there is oxidation in the wort, so I am sure to dicant and just pitch slurry, but wow does shaking and aerating constantly increase cell count....from what I can see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I think that's why people put them on stir plates. If you're like me and don't have one, shake n bake is the way to go. Doing the same thing while culturing commercial yeasts.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Yeah, I think that's why people put them on stir plates. If you're like me and don't have one, shake n bake is the way to go. Doing the same thing while culturing commercial yeasts.
I don't think a stirplate would help oxygenate though, I think that is helping as well.

I think I may have to look at making myself a stirplate however.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Supposedly the stirplate does help with oxygenation by constantly turning the wort over at the surface. It also helps keep more of the yeast in contact with the wort, instead of clumped together.

Shaking accomplishes the same thing, but a stirplate is hands-off.

I also prefer to chill the starter and decant the wort before pitching, but have been known to pitch the whole thing due to time constraints. Never had a problem with oxidation, but I'm not sure I know how to notice it either.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Supposedly the stirplate does help with oxygenation by constantly turning the wort over at the surface. It also helps keep more of the yeast in contact with the wort, instead of clumped together.

Shaking accomplishes the same thing, but a stirplate is hands-off.

I also prefer to chill the starter and decant the wort before pitching, but have been known to pitch the whole thing due to time constraints. Never had a problem with oxidation, but I'm not sure I know how to notice it either.
I have noticed oxydiation in a few of my beers, as a sherry like, spicy, unwelcomed flavor.....not related to my starters, but rather me being an idiot.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I recently made a stir plate and due to technical difficulties, I don't quite have it in production yet. I made a starter on Monday night in my brand new 3000ml erlenmeyer flask using 4 cups of water and a cup of light DME. Added the yeast (wyeast 1968 London ESB for my Lagunitas IPA clone) and have been swirling it every morning and evening. There is a think layer of yeast on the bottom, and when I swirl it it breaks up and spins around the wort. It settles out in several minutes though, so a stir plate would keep all of that in suspension much better which would make a much larger cell count. I am going to pitch another 4 cups water and 1 cup DME into the starter tonight and continue to swirl for my brew day Saturday. That should give me a 2000ml starter with a decent cell count. I plan decant the liquid to get rid of any oxygenation (doubtful it matters), and split the solid yeast into another container for later use. I will pitch the other half right into the chilled wort and let it rip.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

My understanding is when creating a starter you are not trying to make beer... you are simply trying to generate more yeast cells. To that end, don't worry about oxidation. In fact don't use an actual airlock. You want to keep bugs out but not oxygen. I have used sanitized aluminum foil before, and now use a sanitized foam stopper to allow oxygen to get into the flask.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
My understanding is when creating a starter you are not trying to make beer... you are simply trying to generate more yeast cells. To that end, don't worry about oxidation. In fact don't use an actual airlock. You want to keep bugs out but not oxygen. I have used sanitized aluminum foil before, and now use a sanitized foam stopper to allow oxygen to get into the flask.
+1 I totally agree

I use an airlock between shakings, but when I am shaking I am violently aerating and shaking the wort, I get a 2-3 inch layer of foam going. The yeast seem to really like it! The pacman starter I have going is getting so thick it is almost like the consistincy of pea soup...so much yeast!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have noticed oxydiation in a few of my beers, as a sherry like, spicy, unwelcomed flavor.....not related to my starters, but rather me being an idiot.
That is NOT oxidation. Oxidation is a wet cardboard like taste. Once you get it you will NEVER forget it. It is NOTHING like sherry or spicy.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
That is NOT oxidation. Oxidation is a wet cardboard like taste. Once you get it you will NEVER forget it. It is NOTHING like sherry or spicy.
Oxidation has more than one attribute. The cardboard flavor is unmistakable.....the weird sherry like flavor is more subtle. .... but oxidation none the less.

Quick Reply