Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Imperial Stout pitched on Irish Stout yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Mexicanconnection2002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Imperial Stout pitched on Irish Stout yeast cake

Sound like a good idea? Or just pitch 2 packets S04?

Dry Irish Stout extract kit w/ speciality grains.
Safale S-04 yeast
OG 1042
primary for 3 weeks...then pitch on yeast cake

Imperial Stout extract w/ speciality grains.
OG 1086

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

The yeast cake police are going to tell you no. But, that's how I do my RIS (by making a smaller beer than dumping the RIS on top). Either way should be fine though.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A 1086 onto a 1042 cake isn't bad - overpitched for sure, but not by a lot.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Sounds great. Aerate the shiz out of it, don't skimp on the nutrient addition, and for GOD'S sake, keep the carboy cool during fermentation to keep the higher alcohols at bay and the esters reasonable. Good luck!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Mexicanconnection2002
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Thanks guys! I thought it might be overpitched a little, but better than not enough. It's hot here in Florida, but I have a swamp cooler setup that keeps it between 65-70. Aeration technigue has been pouring back and forth several times between fermenter and boil pot. Ferment in 6.5 gallon plastic bucket and don't have a blowoff. Thought I would just leave the lid loose. Sound OK?

Primary: Palisade Blonde Ale, Jesus Lizard IPA, Trotline APA
Secondary in Keg:
On tap: Lazy River APA with Brett c, In the Hood Lager, Hooked Up APA

Next up:

Old 06-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you have a 3 piece airlock and the right sized tubing, then you have a blowoff. Just take the extra 2 pieces off and attach the tubing. It's worked for me in a pinch.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
swoof
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm getting ready to brew a RIS that will have an OG of 1120 in theory and am planning on just using the Irish Ale (Wyeast 1084) yeast cake from a cream stout that's just about ready. The last time I used an entire yeast cake was when I brewed two batches of Patersbier back to back which was probably not the best idea as I wasn't prepared for how hot it got or the massive blowoff. Dumping 5 gallons of 1.050 wort onto an entire cake of 3787 was a disaster waiting to happen and a good lesson as well.

This time should go better as I have a swamp cooler set up and I'm going to ferment in an 8 gallon bucket.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanconnection2002 View Post
Thanks guys! I thought it might be overpitched a little, but better than not enough. It's hot here in Florida, but I have a swamp cooler setup that keeps it between 65-70. Aeration technigue has been pouring back and forth several times between fermenter and boil pot. Ferment in 6.5 gallon plastic bucket and don't have a blowoff. Thought I would just leave the lid loose. Sound OK?
I'm sure you can rig up a blowoff as the above post describes. A loose lid will suffice too. If I were you, I'd keep the ambient between 55 and 60*F for the first 5 days of fermentation. The batch is going to go nuts. Easily 10 degrees hotter than the room the beer sits in. I'd spend $8 on one of those rope-handled 20 gallon utility buckets you can get at most mega-marts these days. Keeping the bucket surrounded by water will suck up heat a lot better than just the cooled air of the swamp-cooler room. Frozen bottles of water (a lot of them, maybe two sets of 5 or 10 bottles (10-20 total) to rotate between the water bath and the freezer) will keep the water bath around 60 while the beer is rocking during those first days of fermentation. If you can keep things under control for the first 5-7 days, you'll be rewarded with much smoother flavor in your high gravity brews. After the explosive exponential yeast phase, you can leave your bucket at normal room temps without harming the beer. My thoughts, anyway.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Why not just wash the yeast? It's an easy process and doesn't take that long. That way you'll get the old trub out and be pitching just yeast. Otherwise, I'd think you would have a ton of trub at the bottom after the second brew finishes. Either way save the S-04 for backup.

The lose lid will generally be fine from a sanitation standpoint but be sure to have the mop ready, especially if you are going to pitch on the yeast cake.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just reused a yeast cake for the first time last week... I was cloning a bush de noel for my xmas beer. I have never witnessed such a fierce fermenation. My blow off tube literally sounded like a machine in my sanitized solution mason jar!!

Does anyone have any idea if reusing a yeast cake would diminish the amount of time you can allow the beer to sit in the primary... Maybe thats a question for a different thread.

Quick Reply