IIPA and Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfat

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a Stone Ruination clone, 1.077 OG. I purchased one packet of US-05 but am wondering if that is enough. Mrmalty leads me to needing 14-15 grams of dry yeast. I have an 11 gram packet of US-05.

Do you think I'm alright with just one packet?

I have a blonde ale ready to come off a cake of US-05. I suppose I could throw a cup or so of that slurry in with the packet. I am reluctant to pitch onto the entire cake although I don't have a good reason.

Thoughts appreciated.

For a beer that big, you should definitely pitch enough yeast. Based on the higher alcohol content, you will need plenty of healthy yeast to get the necessary attenuation. One packet might be enough to get the job done, but you're much more likely to get a quick start, healthy fermentation and resultant good attenuation if you pitch the right amount of yeast. If your fermentation stalls because of inadequate yeast, it's a pain to get the beer to finish, if at all. One more packet of yeast is a cheap alternative to the pain in the butt of having slow or stalled fermentation.

As to using the slurry from a previous batch, I can't really speak to that and will let someone with more experience enter with that answer.

Happy brewing, and I hope this helps.

One packet, while not ideal, is probably fine. Two would be better.

A cup of slurry, while not very precise, would probably work great, too. Mr. Malty can help you determine how much slurry to use.

IMO both at the same time would be overkill.

I did the Stone ruination clone with one packet of US-05, and was worried about the same thing. But it started fast and progressed as well as any low gravity beer (64 degree ferment). However, I did aerate the wort properly AND hydrate the yeast first, which IMHO, makes a significant difference. Go to their web site for instructions on how to hydrate, if unsure.

But the yeast cake thing should work as well. I'd be doing that, but have started dry hopping in primary after a week, making yeast harvesting not so doable.

Rich

In general yeast perform better in the 2nd generation than the first, and third better than the second, so if you have yeast to repitch that is potentially the best option. I say potentially because repitching is an intermediate technique and it is possible to screw it up (repitch lots of dead yeast, pitch a wildly wrong amount, contaminate). Anecdotally, dry yeast do not work well for as many generations as liquid but we are talking about getting 4-5 verses 8-10 so second generation should be fine.

I would think a safale packet, rehydrated according the the manufacturers instructions, would be more than sufficient if you are not comfortable with repitching.

Thanks.

I should have clarified I am not near a HBS so I'm trying not to have to make an order. I keep forgetting to order a couple packs to have around.

Rich, thanks for the input. I was hoping to hear from someone who had done the same. I usually do not bother rehydrating and have had good results. I'll be sure to rehydrate this time around.

I still may even try to wash the yeast from the blonde or save some slurry.

Definitely try the yeast washing. You won't regret it, especially if you don't live near a LHBS.

Back