Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > IIPA 1056 Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Tumpster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default IIPA 1056 Yeast Question

Hey there, I'm going to transfer my Pliny AG clone and have an abundance of yeast at the bottom. I'm going to transfer and then take the slurry off with some boiled water into a growler, at the same time I'll be mashing/boiling a Oberon clone. Can I do all this in one day? From the sense of pitching this yeast I pull off the slurry right away into the finished wort of the Oberon clone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
JBmadtown
Recipes 

My only concern would be how healthy your yeast cake is. I haven't done many big beers, but there are quite a few comments on this site about not reusing yeast from high ABV beer. The yeast get pretty beat up while fermenting something with a high gravity. I could be wrong, but I would do a search on it.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Tumpster
Recipes 

This ended up fermenting out @ 7.5% and 1.070 starting, 1.014 final gravity, so not too large and was pitched with a healthy yeast starter.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
SickTransitMundus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't do it. High alcohol (yes, 7.5% is high enough) and hoppy beers make for a stressed yeast cake. You'll get off-flavors in your repitched beer, which will be quite obvious due to the more delicate flavor of an Oberon clone.

Gallons in 2011: 145 and counting.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't worry about it. Pitch only part of the cake, so that the yeast go through their reproductive cycle, and you will have healthy new yeast to work on the new beer. If you use the whole cake, you will not get much reproduction, and you will have stressed yeast working on the new beer.

You should not continually re-use yeast from high gravity beers because you are more likely to get mutations with subsequent generations. Re-using once should not be a problem, but if done a couple of times, you could start to find the yeast has a different characteristic (taste, flocculation, attenuation, etc) from the original strain.

Quick Reply