Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ice in washed yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Default Ice in washed yeast?

I was pulling a pint, and noticed the jars with my washed 3068 have ice in the top.

Is that a problem? Only the top is frozen, the yeast/trub layer and most of the liquid is not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

If it wasn't for the fact that I've been awake for about 30 hours straight now, I'd be able to dig up the podcast that talked about freezing yeast. Apparently, even if the entire vial is frozen, only about 10% of the viable yeast die per freeze. Assuming you're going to be using a starter (and we both know you are ) it shouldn't be any problem at all. Maybe just raise the temp a little bit so it doesn't continue to happen.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
If it wasn't for the fact that I've been awake for about 30 hours straight now, I'd be able to dig up the podcast that talked about freezing yeast. Apparently, even if the entire vial is frozen, only about 10% of the viable yeast die per freeze. Assuming you're going to be using a starter (and we both know you are ) it shouldn't be any problem at all. Maybe just raise the temp a little bit so it doesn't continue to happen.
Cool.

I don't think the yeast froze. I moved the jars away from the vent, so that should fix it.

Funny, that did not happen when the outside temp was 30* colder (fridge is by the garage door).

Quick Reply