New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I think my yeast is dead.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
TBLbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I think my yeast is dead.

I got a Wyeast activator pack of Irish ale yeast yesterday. I let it warm up for two hours and then smacked it. Nothing happened. No big deal. I've had that before. The yeast was packaged in October. I made a 2 ltr starter of 1040 wort. I pitched it 16 hrs ago. In the past even when it didn't puff, it still started in the starter. Today, there is no activity, and it has separated into three distinct layers. I should also say that I aerated well by shaking multiple times over several hours. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sounds likely that its dead. I'd suggest maybe taking a sample of some of the wort, and see if its still at 1.040 OG, that will tell you for sure...

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

PS has the right idea.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3876 Times on 2831 Posts
Likes Given: 650

It was pitched yesterday? Way too early to worry about it. It'll have to reproduce before it gets to the business of fermentation.

I'd wait about three days, then if there was absolutely NO indication a lower SG, then consider repitching.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
TBLbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
It was pitched yesterday? Way too early to worry about it. It'll have to reproduce before it gets to the business of fermentation.

I'd wait about three days, then if there was absolutely NO indication a lower SG, then consider repitching.
The problem is that i'm using this starter for my brew day on Friday. It actually seperated into three layers last night, and I shook it up again. It looked exactly the same today. I would have thought that with only 2 Ltrs of wort I would have seen some change.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Check the gravity, and see what it is now. Also, always, always, always keep a package or three of Dry Yeast in your fridge for an emergency. I've got Notty, US-05 & S-04, as well as a package of Red Star Montrachet in my fridge at all times.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply