Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I practically boiled my fermenting beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
epateddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default I practically boiled my fermenting beer

Just did my 27th batch on Friday. I've made the usual noob mistakes over that time but I think I may have screwed the pooch on this one.

Tried NB's Partersbier. Think I was more into the back story than what it might taste like. Full deets here:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...Patersbier.pdf

Finished brewing late at night and put this one to bed in my ferm chamber (basically a foam insulated, wooden box) in my 58 degree basement. Put the heat wrap on it and set the temp to 68, figuring the heat generated from fermentation would knock it up a few degrees. (Optimum temp range for the yeast used is 64-78.)

After 24 hours it was fermenting happily at 66. On day 2 it was down to 64. Just couldn't seem to keep the temp up even in the insulated box. So i wrapped the carboy in a couple of blankets to contain the heat. Day 3: 60 degrees. Then it dawned on me. While the Johnson controller was calling for heat from the wrap...I never plugged the damn heat wrap in!! Problem solved, right? But I didn't think to remove the blankets. Fatal mistake. Day 4: The temp reading was <insert Dr. Evil impression>......ONE HUNNNNNDRED DEGREEEESS! The damn blankets and insulated chamber kept so much heat in when I opened the box it felt like I was standing next to a furnace.

So what I have I done to this beer? Is it a dump?

Thoughts? Predictions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

I predict it's going to taste like super hot fusel alcohol and give you massive headaches.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
toast26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ha. I did the same thing this weekend with a saison. Accidentally ramped from a happy 74 to 100 over about 10 hours. Fermented from 1.044 to 1.006 in 36 hours.

Luckily, the hydro samples taste good. I figure RDWHAHB and see what happens. Sounds like you were fast enough into fermentation that you should be fine. That patersbier is a tasty recipe. Enjoy it, hot ferment and all.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I'll state the obvious and say 100 is certainly extreme, BUT, it went three days prior to the issue, so I'm betting fermentation was pretty much done. I wouldn't dump it. Let it cool down, give it another week or so, and take of gravity. If it's done, and it doesn't taste horrifying, bottle or keg it.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I ramp my saisons up to 100 on purpose. They dry out nicely, and I've never had an issue with fusels. Saison yeasts just don't play by the same rules.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
epateddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You guys are a trip. Love how quickly you jump on these threads and the variety of the answers the OP gets. We're already looking at "this will give you massive headaches" to "I do this on purpose". Good times. I suppose since I've already made the major (time) investment, we'll keg it after Primary and see what we've got.

Interesting takeaway here is finding out I can swing the carboy temp +42 degrees over the ambient temp in my basement if needed. Would I ever need to do this again? No. But interesting nonetheless.

Thanks all!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

I totally glanced over the part about it being belgian yeast somehow. The other poster was right, belgian yeasts don't seem to play by the same rules. fusels are a possibility, but only a very small one i think

Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Well you need to tell us what becomes of this! I'm curious. It's like watching a train wreck that might heal the crippled engineer or kill everyone on board.

Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Most of the damage from high temps is done early on, if it's done at all. You spent the first couple days cool, so all may be well. Let it cool down slowly, give it a week, and pull a sample for gravity and taste testing. See how it fares. Make a decision about what to do with it after that.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
DeutscheMaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Your beer will be fine. Belgian yeast can take the heat.

Quick Reply