Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I messed up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I messed up

I pitched my yeast yesterday when the wort was between 85 - 88. It's US-05, and it's just barely doing anything at this point 27 hours later. I have a blow off tube and I can see very slight bubbles in the jar that the tube is going in. Have I ruined this beer? I've never seen US-05 take this long before. Last one I had a very active fermentation by this time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

you pitched kind of hot, might have to wait longer though.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be decieving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going.

Although the temp is not optimal, that temp really isn't high enough to harm the yeast....You're not talking above a hundred degrees.

Just relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Naggs Likes This 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Since you can rehydrate US 05 at 90F I doubt you did any harm to the yeast. As mentioned above that temp isn't ideal, but if you brought it down quickly afterwards then it's not a deal breaker. Sometimes high temps will cause yeast to work quicker and more aggressively, so for all you know the yeast is moving slowly for an entirely different reason. Do you aerate? Do you re-hydrate your dry yeast? I'm willing to bet that within another 24 hours you'll see typical signs of fermentation...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have it in my fermentation chamber now set at 65 and put it in there immediately. I shook the crap out of the pail after putting the yeast in. I've read that too high of temps can cause esters to be released. How would I know if esters were released due to that?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Well, if fermentation hasn't really started yet, then there is a good chance you won't experience problems with esters associated to high temp fermentation. Depending on the style of beer those esters might be ideal. With high esters you might notice fruity flavors, spicy flavors, or even fusel alcohol flavors. It really depends on the yeast strain that you're using. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Keep it at 65F and it will likely surprise you in the end!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply