Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I may never wash yeast again!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Default I may never wash yeast again!

I have been freezing my liquid yeast.

This is even easier than washing yeast. Though it takes longer to get ready for brew day.

I start by making a starter larger than needed for my recipe.

Before pitching I make 4 vials to freeze. This is generation 1. I have 40ml vials and I add 10ml yeast, 10ml glycerin and 20ml water. Shake them and put in the refrigerator. When cool I put them in the freezer in a tub with some freeze packs. This is to counteract the defrost cycle of the freezer to keep the yeast frozen.

If I go the recommended 4 generations and make 4 new vials from each frozen vial I could do 256 brews. I obviously don't do that.

When planning a brew I start about a week early to propagate my yeast from a frozen vial. I make a small weak starter of about .25L. I run the stirplate about 18 hours. I then decant and feed another .5L starter. This gives me approximately the same amount of yeast as a vial or pack. I then use this to make a starter the size needed for my recipe.

I have frozen yeast from November 2011 and have recently used those successfully.
I also now have 6 varieties and 21 vials to use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hey, whatever works. I tried to do the vial thing with gelatin and culturing, but it was a pain in the rear end. It just seems easier to have a couple of large jars of sterile water on hand if/when you want to wash the yeast. I had this vision of never buying yeast again, but truth is, eventually you will need to buy some more, either different types for new recipes or just to refill an often used type. Plus if you are like me, you run into certain situations, like near the end of viability of saved yeast, where you are starting to question whether or not it's propagating right, or too many generations, etc. So I just find being more casual about it, buying new or using washed, fits my style.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

where does one buy glycerin? is it expensive?

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
where does one buy glycerin? is it expensive?
Just about any drugstore. And, no....It's pretty cheap.

CVS/pharmacy
SKU #483707
6.0 OZ
0.42 LBS
$5.49

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
Hey, whatever works. I tried to do the vial thing with gelatin and culturing, but it was a pain in the rear end. It just seems easier to have a couple of large jars of sterile water on hand if/when you want to wash the yeast. I had this vision of never buying yeast again, but truth is, eventually you will need to buy some more, either different types for new recipes or just to refill an often used type. Plus if you are like me, you run into certain situations, like near the end of viability of saved yeast, where you are starting to question whether or not it's propagating right, or too many generations, etc. So I just find being more casual about it, buying new or using washed, fits my style.
Yes, I will still have to buy new strains, and replace commonly used ones occasionally. But If I only use the 4 vials once that will save me abut $28 dollars over buying fresh.

When stepping up I can easily see if the yeast are propagating.

When I wash my yeast I cannot really tell how much of the slurry is yeast and how much is trub. So far mine have not stratified well into distinct layers.

I will on occasion pitch on a yeast cake. And [I]may[I] wash if needed but I love having varieties on hand and feel safer keeping the frozen yeast for a long time than keeping refrigerated, washed yeast.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
...And [I]may[I] wash if needed but I love having varieties on hand and feel safer keeping the frozen yeast for a long time than keeping refrigerated, washed yeast.
Good point, plus it sounds like you enjoy doing it, and that's what counts.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just about any drugstore. And, no....It's pretty cheap.

CVS/pharmacy
SKU #483707
6.0 OZ
0.42 LBS
$5.49
Florida must be the exception, I tried the following places; CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart pharmacy, Target Pharmacy, private pharmacy, and even feed stores.
NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH,

I'm being told that it's becoming harder to buy, because Homeland Security has deemed it a "watched" item. Not sure about the validity of this statement.

actually made me give up on the idea of freezing yeast.

This thread is activating interest again though. (see what I did there?)

Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
dragonbreath11
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I also have done the glycerin thing. At times when making a starter from a fresh vial I will reserve a bit and put it directly into the glycerin/water solution so I know I have the freshest, cleanest, and uncontaminated yeast. I've revived frozen yeast after a year in the freezer and it started right up. Here's where I purchase my Glycerin.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bul...isc.php#bu_gly

16oz for 8.75+ shipping. They also carry bitter orange peel, irish moss, and many other brewing spices and goodies if anyone cares.

glycerine.jpg  

Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbreath11 View Post
I also have done the glycerin thing. At times when making a starter from a fresh vial I will reserve a bit and put it directly into the glycerin/water solution so I know I have the freshest, cleanest, and uncontaminated yeast. I've revived frozen yeast after a year in the freezer and it started right up. Here's where I purchase my Glycerin.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bul...isc.php#bu_gly

16oz for 8.75+ shipping. They also carry bitter orange peel, irish moss, and many other brewing spices and goodies if anyone cares.
MOST excellent! Thanks for posting the link

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea -- washing was too much hassle and no real reward. Raw trub works for less than 6 months, I'll use glycerin for long-term freezer storage.....

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Quick Reply