Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I dont know squat about harvesting yeast, but I;ve got a working method!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
dmarc85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default I dont know squat about harvesting yeast, but I;ve got a working method!

In an attempt to save money, I've been reusing my yeast; I have been pouring off the yeast cake from my primary fermenters into a sanitized jar of water and DME (obviously boiled). I keep this yeast under refrigeration, then I pitch it into a new batch of beer! My method has seemed to work every time; I still brew beers with yeast that I've harvested multiple times.

MY QUESTION: Is this method of harvesting and repitching yeast going to cause me problems down the road? Will my yeast eventually peter-out? Is there something I can do to ensure that my method remains viable and I can continue to save money?

SEND MY YOUR FEEDBACK!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
el_caro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your method is commonly used by many homebrewers.
I suggest you read the sticky thread on yeast washing.
The yeast you harvest will continue to change their behavior in a small manner with each generation and hence you will end up with a different beer result down the track. As to how many generations you go before noticing it depends on several factors. I am sure you will get a few different answers here about how many generations maximum you should use.
You can of course harvest from an initial starter made from a fresh pack / vial and that will result in less likelihood of mutation.
Another option is slanting yeast and there is an excellent sticky thread on that subject.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply