Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #291
TriangleIL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Looks good to me... I would just check to make sure it has a threaded fitting for the O2 out. With the picture as it is, you cannot tell what the fitting is for the O2 out part. Even though a barb fitting on the regulator would work too, I like using threaded fittings for my lines/tubing whenever possible.

Still, it's hard to go wrong at that price. Just wish it was available with Amazon Prime.

I am very confused by this thread. Everyone seems to be looking at medical regulators for their oxygen tanks. Do these regulators only work with the green medical oxygen tanks? Can those tanks be filled without prescription? If not, what are people doing about the tanks running out of gas? I have an opportunity to pick up a large oxygen tank with regulator and 25% full, for extremely cheap. However, it is a medical tank, and I don't want to throw money away if I can't ever fill it again. Thoughts?
Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #292
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

The tank I have is for welding O2 not a medical tank. You can get the medical flow regulators with the regular tank connection. That wah you can swap/fill them where welding gases are sold.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #293
MrTheKing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm using the Williams Brewing kit with just a regular o2 tank from a hardware store.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #294
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleIL View Post
I am very confused by this thread. Everyone seems to be looking at medical regulators for their oxygen tanks. Do these regulators only work with the green medical oxygen tanks? Can those tanks be filled without prescription? If not, what are people doing about the tanks running out of gas? I have an opportunity to pick up a large oxygen tank with regulator and 25% full, for extremely cheap. However, it is a medical tank, and I don't want to throw money away if I can't ever fill it again. Thoughts?
How cheap is 'extremely cheap'? I buy the disposable tanks at the Lowes for like 9 bucks and they only hold a couple oz of O2. I’ve used it on about 70 gallons of beer/wine/mead/cider so far and haven’t run out yet (some people claim they can get 30 batches out of them).

Depending on how big that tank is, you may not need to replace it for a very very long time. Think of it as a disposable tank. Unless (god forbid) you or a family member develop a condition which requires oxygen, then you may have an excuse to get it filled.

Basically, if you have the room to keep it and its really cheap, than go for it and don’t worry about your oxygen needs for multiple years.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #295
TriangleIL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I get it now, so I want the CGA540 outlet, not the 870?

Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #296
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleIL View Post
I think I get it now, so I want the CGA540 outlet, not the 870?
Sounds right. Its the tank connection welding regulators use (for oxygen).

Also, a 20 cubic foot O2 tank is about the same size as a 5# CO2 tank, so easy to store. You can get the regulator for under $30 from ebay or amazon. Since yoh swap/refill the O2 tank its cheap for the volume. Plus you save by just buying the wand and stone (or just a stone) not the full kit. With an actual meter o. The regulator you KNOW how mych O2 you're infusing. With the disposable regulator you're just guessing.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #297
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I'll take some photos of my rig. Basically, if you plan to use a regular welding oxygen tank acquired from a local welding shop (what I did) you need to look for a medical regulator that has a bolt attachment on it. See my pictures below of my current setup.

Here is the specific regulator I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-M-Medical-...ht_1274wt_1163

And coupled with the beverage tubing from MoreBeer + their oxygen stone, everything hooks up perfectly to the barb outlet on the regulator.

One of my best purchases ever. Got everything for around $120 - and it took all the worry or guessing out of oxygenating my wort.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #298
TriangleIL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome, thanks a ton for the pictures, that makes a lot of sense now. The specific oxygen setup I am looking at is an "E" tank, with regulator and half full. The price is $55.

Craigslist Ad for tanks

Would this make sense, or should I just stick with a welding tank + ebay regulator?

Sorry for the noob questions, just don't want to make a bad purchase and screw myself.

My Ditches Build

Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #299
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Well, those appear (from my limited knowledge) to be medical tanks, and I'm not sure how the regulators work as I can't see them blown up, but would imagine that they'd have LPM settings for you to adjust similar to my regulator shown above.

Those should work, if you can attach some hose to your stone, but again you might have problems getting them filled up without having a perscription. I decided against getting a medical tank, and just taking the investment to get the tank from a welding supply shop directly.

An exchange is about $14.50 for a full tank, so basically my oxygen needs are completely solved for the remainder of my time brewing. It was a $120 investment up front, but worth it in my opinion. Beats spending $10 or whatever for those little tanks and not knowing exactly how much oxygen you are putting in, not to mention that most websites want atleast $50-60 for the kit with stone and plastic reg.

Basically, to get back to your question - do you want a short term solution that may work (but that you probably can't get refilled) or a long term solution that is proven to work?

p.s. Another option is to ask your dentist to see if he can prescribe you oxygen. If he can, then you just solved getting those medical tanks refilled. Then medical tanks might make a lot more sense.

Quick Reply