Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I just ordered the O2 system from Williams Brewing... I hope it arrives before my next brew day (either next Thursday, that weekend, or soon after)... Used the FedEx Ground option, so it could/should arrive before end of day Thursday, if everything lines up... It's arrival will determine which recipe I brew next. I'm planning on getting an O2 tank in the next few days (under $8 at Lowe's) to feed it... Going to be interesting testing with the setup and see how it effects my brews...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
jfowler1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I just ordered the O2 system from Williams Brewing... I hope it arrives before my next brew day (either next Thursday, that weekend, or soon after)... Used the FedEx Ground option, so it could/should arrive before end of day Thursday, if everything lines up... It's arrival will determine which recipe I brew next. I'm planning on getting an O2 tank in the next few days (under $8 at Lowe's) to feed it... Going to be interesting testing with the setup and see how it effects my brews...
You didn't buy that O2 system in bulk did you!

(just a little joke for you that no one else will understand)

Awesome purchase. You will not be upset you did it. I tried my third sample (that stared this thread) Tuesday night. Awesome stuff. Maybe I'll check back in next month or so for one last update (or a comp result if I ever get around to it).

In the meantime, I'll still follow along the thread for any questions and comments.

Joe

Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post

Has anyone had a similar Eureka! moment from a process change?

Joe

Yes. With my annual bock, decocting put it over the top. My first tase of it after the first time I decocted it was WOW.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Yup, full pallet load of them... I'm now their east cost hub... [j/k]

I'll be sure to comment on any impacts I see in my own brews... I seriously want it for my higher OG brews on deck, but suspect it will have less impact on my lower OG recipes... For me "low OG" is anything under ~1.070... I have a blonde ale recipe that's next up (depending on when the O2 setup arrives) that has an OG of around 1.060... Pretty simple recipe, so not many places for off flavors to hide...

What do you think, 30 seconds for my lower OG batches?? Maybe 45 seconds for 1.070-1.085 and then 60 seconds for anything higher? I do like the cost per batch break-down on using the item... Especially if I get ~20-30 batches per cylinder of O2...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #25
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Janet's Brown is worth trying for again. It is a wonderful beer, I brew it about three times a year and a lower ABV version of it a couple more times a year.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 04-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #26
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Do you need to do it in the fermenter, or can you do it in the kettle, after it's been chilled, before you run it into the fermenter?
That's an excellent question, which I don't know the answer to. Intuition states that you may lose some of that oxygen in the transfer, if you add it in the kettle, but I could be wrong. Even if it does happen, the real question is, how much? I have no idea. Maybe someone else could chime in; I'd like to know as well.

Quote:
Second question... Would you give a higher OG brew more than 60 seconds on the stone?
According to the new yeast book, yes. They recommend at least 60 seconds at pitch and again at the 12-18 hour mark. 90 seconds at each point wouldn't be off at all. Apparently, that second shot at the 12-18 hour mark is more important than a larger saturation at pitch.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:12 AM   #27
Fat_Bastard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed up a Belgian wit 8 days ago.I used my new williams 02 set up for the first time and the brew is still chugging along fermenting.I don't know if it's the 02 or the wlp 400 yeast,but my fermentations are usually done in 4 or 5 days.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #28
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I haven't used that yeast at all, but given that it's a low flocculater, I'm going to guess that overall fermentation will go a bit longer than with other yeasts, but be slow at the tail end. You ought to be near anticipated FG, though, if I'm at all correct in this guess.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #29
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Ive spent a ton of money on my brew equipment and for some reason I just have not purchased an O2 setup yet. Its always one of those oh ill get it someday type things. But after reading through this thread maybe now is the time. It seems to me for the extra 2 mins it adds to the brew day and the increased quality of beer you get it might be worth doing for sure

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #30
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm putting together an inline aerator that allows me to oxygenate the wort as it's leaving my plate chiller, but before it reaches the fermenter (it will add about 2 seconds to my brew day to open and close the oxygen valve) . I had previously been using an aquarium pump, but after reading Yeast, it's clearly inadequate not only for higher gravity brews, but also many different strains of yeast.

Quick Reply