*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #261
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've never boiled mine. I just make sure to protect the stone once I've run it in the StarSan solution and put it away. Doesn't get much easier.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #262
coypoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I've never boiled mine. I just make sure to protect the stone once I've run it in the StarSan solution and put it away. Doesn't get much easier.
That what I think is so weird. It was only the 2nd time I'd used it and the o2 was always on so I don't know how it could have gotten clogged. I guess I should submerge all of he tubing just to make sure there isn't a leak somewhere else that I've missed

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #263
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
That what I think is so weird. It was only the 2nd time I'd used it and the o2 was always on so I don't know how it could have gotten clogged. I guess I should submerge all of he tubing just to make sure there isn't a leak somewhere else that I've missed
So you don't have the one from William's on the wand I take it... If you have the .5 micron stone, then there's the reason why most go with the 2 micron stone. I like having mine on the wand, since I can easily control how deep it goes into the fermenter. All of the gas tubing is outside of the fermenter too, making it even better.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #264
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Bought the kit from Willams today and a 2.1 oz O2 bottle from the hardware store. Hope to put this to use in the next two weeks. If this does improve my brewing I will probably go ahead and invest in a 20 cf O2 tank and regulator. I called around about buying a tank and getting it filled. Only one place in the county fills O2 tank with 20 cf. Quoted a used tank and first fill for $100. Anyone think this is a fair price?

Also, one place I called asked if I wanted an O2 for welding versus O2 for a medical tank and mentioned that the contents for each tank would be different. I would assume that O2 for welding would just be O2 but I am not sure about medical oxygen tanks. Anyone know if there is a difference?
After tax, the welding shop here came to $93 something for a used tank filled, and exchanges are $14.50.

So yeah, sounds about the same price.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #265
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

So you don't have the one from William's on the wand I take it... If you have the .5 micron stone, then there's the reason why most go with the 2 micron stone. I like having mine on the wand, since I can easily control how deep it goes into the fermenter. All of the gas tubing is outside of the fermenter too, making it even better.
No, it's the one from Williams. I was under the impression that you wanted it on the bottom if he fermenter when oxygenating

Rowdy Reptile Brewing

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #266
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
No, it's the one from Williams. I was under the impression that you wanted it on the bottom if he fermenter when oxygenating
What size fermenter are you using that the entire wand gets submerged? I typically position the stone so that it's a few inches off of the bottom of my fermenter. Easy to do with any of the fermenters I have. Even the tall 1/4 barrel kegs. I've also used it the same in my brew-buddy's 6 gallon carboy, or bucket fermenter without issue.

Once you have it unclogged, I would simply run some O2 through it while it's in the StarSan bucket. I've been doing that since I started using the oxygenation wand.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #267
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's a 6 gal bucket. I think that next time I won't have it rest on the bottom.

It goes straight into the StarSan right after the fermenter and the o2 is on the whole time which is why I'm so confused as to how it got clogged in the first place

Rowdy Reptile Brewing

Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #268
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I use the US Plastics 7 gal. bucket with the Williams O2 wand. It can rest on the bottom with no trouble and still sticks up out of the wort. I put it in the boil with about 15 minutes left, then transfer it to the fermenter after chilling & oxygenate. Then, with the O2 still on, I stick it in a bucket full of cold water that's the outflow of the chiller, swish it around a second, then pull it out. I've done this now for the 10 batches or so since I got the Williams setup, and I have no problems.....and, yeah, it's hard for me to see how yours could clog up, too.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #269
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567
.....and, yeah, it's hard for me to see how yours could clog up, too.
Could it be possible that it is defective?

Rowdy Reptile Brewing

Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #270
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So I think the problem was with my o2 rank the whole time. I soaked the wand in oxyclean for a few hours and just tried it. Nothing happened. So I took he wand off and just stuck the end of the tubing in the liquid and was barely getting any bubbles. I'm going to go get another tank tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the issues.

So, what is the new way to store the wand/tank? Should I take them apart? Leave everything attached? What is everybody else's procedure once they've oxygenated their wort?

Rowdy Reptile Brewing

Quick Reply